Ram Upgrade What Is The Best Ram I could Upgrade To??

DJboutit

I am looking to upgrade my ram I have a older Dell XPS here are the specs of my computer http://imgbox.com/hHkWqFcY I think I can max at 16gb ram what is the best ram I could upgrade to and would it be much of a upgrade from what I have now??

beers

Staff member
I'd probably just roll that same money into a newer system/platform to be honest.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the max memory is only 16 then its really not worth it. How much memory are you using now? Do your most memory intensive thing and then memory usage in task manager and if you are using more then say 80 percent of existing ram, then you need more. But as Beers says, your best bet would be to get into a newer system with DDR4 ram or at least something newer that still uses DDR3 but are able to expand past 16gb,

Intel_man

VIP Member
Are you sure it's 16gb? Intel's ark page say the 3770 can run maximum 32gb. Which Dell XPS model are you on? There should be a sticker somewhere on the case that tells you the model number of your Dell.

DJboutit

It is a Dell XPS 8500 it can take upto 32gb it has 4 3gb ram sticks in it now if I upgrade to 24gb ram would it be worth it??

Last edited:

DJboutit

I use a prgoram called Mem Reduct sometimes it gets to 85% to 93% usage and the computer loads like 30x slower

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I use a prgoram called Mem Reduct sometimes it gets to 85% to 93% usage and the computer loads like 30x slower

I wouldn't trust those type of programs, they usually cause more issues then anything. Uninstall it and see what the difference is.