Ram voltage too high?

sterlingr

Hello all,
I recently ran into this message on PCpartpicker and was wondering if I should choose different RAM.

"The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.6V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Is it ok to run at a higher voltage? What exactly does that even mean, would this also send a higher voltage to the CPU?

Explanation and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

beers

Staff member
I believe the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller, on the CPU) has a pretty strict rating from the factory for the voltage it can supply to memory modules.

1.6v isn't too excessive, but I wouldn't manually increase it beyond that.

I've been using that specific RAM kit (although the 16G version) in my 8350 build as well as when I flopped over to this 4770K build like a year ago and it's been solid with the XMP profile setting (using 1.6v).

sterlingr

So you're saying that it would be ok to install this ram and force a higher voltage? (Sorry I don't know much about this in particular). If so, how would you do that? In the BIOS? and what other effect would this have on my computer besides having a higher voltage sent to the RAM? Would there be a higher voltage sent to the CPU?

Thanks!

ninjabubbles3

The RAM would default to something like 1333 speed. You can then set the XMP profile to profile 1, which would be 1.6v at 2133. You would just set it in the BIOS. There would be no effect on your conputer, except the RAM wouke take a slghtly higher wattage

C4C

The RAM would default to something like 1333 speed. You can then set the XMP profile to profile 1, which would be 1.6v at 2133. You would just set it in the BIOS. There would be no effect on your conputer, except the RAM wouke take a slghtly higher wattage

In essence, if you don't supply it with the proper amount of fuel, it won't run as fast as it's meant to.