ram won't go above standard clock

jesse kraus

Hey there, yeah you!

lately i have been trying to overclock my ram, or at least get it to the speed it runs at according to the sticker on it. it should run at 1866mhz but i could only get it to run at that speed by upping the voltage a little, but that's not my problem for now, because i managed it to make it run at that speed. but as soon as i go any higher, so that would be 2133Mhz and 2400Mhz in my bios, task manager and cpuZ say the ram is running at 1600Mhz, and so is the information panel of my bios. but when i go back to the OC tab in my bios it still shows 2133Mhz. is there a reason i can't clock any higher than my rams' standard speed, or is it just a weird problem of mine again?

Why are you trying to OC your ram anyway? Unless you're doing video editing and the like, you won't notice any benefit at all to overclocking ram.

jesse kraus

I do not do any kind of video editing and i know tweaking the voltage is a little risky, but hey, i gotta Learn and explore in some way and school wont get me anywhere in this case.

I can certainly understand the curiosity. And unfortunately, a great way to learn this sort of stuff is through trial and error, which can end up being expensive to fix (lol trust me I know. I borked my ram and motherboard by messing with ram timings back in the day).

As for the inability to clock your ram higher, I don't know. If you can't even run the RAM at stock speeds without increasing voltage, then it sounds like you just don't have a great batch of ram. My advice is to just not overclock your ram at all. It's a total waste. There's no benefit in your use case. Stick to overclocking CPU's and GPU's. Those are the components where OC'ing will have a noticeable effect.

jesse kraus

thanks. and just like you i have also already destroyed quite some components by overclocking. i have already killed a psu of which i still dont exactly know the reason of death, and i have overheated my old cpu so much it died. next to that i have already had a motherboard that just did not power on anymore and a ram stick that wasnt being recognized by any mobo anymore after taking it out for cleaning my pc.

Darren

Staff member
Maybe uh... take it easy on the overclocking? Sure everyone's gotta learn but if you're killing that many components might want to consider dialing it back a little bit?

jesse kraus

i already did that a lot, but one problem was that a bunch of those old components were second hand. lately i have only been buying new stuff

Darren

Staff member
A good idea. Just to say again, don't bother with OC'ing ram. It's not worth it.
Ehh, depends on your platform. Ryzen definitely gets a good jump in speed and even my old FX 8320 platform was a bit snappier with tightened up timings and clocks.

If you're killing components though, nah probably not worth it lol

Agent Smith

thanks. and just like you i have also already destroyed quite some components by overclocking. i have already killed a psu of which i still dont exactly know the reason of death, and i have overheated my old cpu so much it died. next to that i have already had a motherboard that just did not power on anymore and a ram stick that wasnt being recognized by any mobo anymore after taking it out for cleaning my pc.

money-money-everywhere.jpg

Intel_man

VIP Member
Perhaps you should do some more research on how to effectively overclock without damaging your components. Not even extreme overclocks should damage your components if you do it right.
Luckily these days, its really hard to destroy components with overclocking.
Only if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment to facilitate those overclocks.

beers

Staff member
Luckily these days, its really hard to destroy components with overclocking.
These days? It's always been pretty much the same since the advent of locking bus frequencies.

The problem situations always stem from people not realizing the knobs they're turning.

I don't know. I feel like overclocking has gotten both easier and safer year after year. There are so many safeguards that prevent a person from damaging their components. Certainly more than there were when overclocking was less commonplace. The point is that overclocking is pretty low risk. Even neophytes are doing it.