Ram

Stoic Sentinel

It does. I checked around a few other sites and it does.

So that means It could pull from two channels at once correct? So why would I fill those other two channels?

You don't need to at all, in fact, some motherboards have problems when you do. Why they still keep them on there is beyond me.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Both boards are dual channel. All 939/AM2/AM2+ and AM3 boards are dual channel

Last edited:

heydockyle

I have 4 in my current Dell XPS no problem.
So if I would buy 4 sticks of 1gb, the computer would only use 2gb correct?

And even though the mobo says it supports 16gb, it really will max out at 8.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member

If you want 4gb. you would be better off using two 2gb. sticks, leaves two slots open if you decide to add more memory later.

If you have 4gb. of memory, why do you think it would only use 2gb?

Dont really get where your coming from. Both boards in your links support 16gb. (unrealistic) with four 4g. sticks.

heydockyle

Dual Channel Mobo. That means the mobo will only read from two channels at a time. So if it would only read two channels. Why would I fill the other two channels is what I'm saying.

Thats what I don't understand.

salvage-this

I think what Stoic was getting at is that some motherboards have trouble with having all of the memory slots filled. Not that they are designed not to.

StrangleHold

Staff member
On some older boards it would knock it down one speed if you ran 4 sticks. But now its really just a question of being alittle more stressful on the memory controller, but usually alittle bump in the memory controller voltage will help.

heydockyle

I understand that. What I'm saying is, a dual channel mobo will only read from two ram at a time, correct?

If that is the case, why would I fill the other two slots if it will not read from those other two also.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I understand that. What I'm saying is, a dual channel mobo will only read from two ram at a time, correct?

No, did you read post 11. Each channel can see two sticks.

If that is the case, why would I fill the other two slots if it will not read from those other two also.

On a 4 slot board it can see one or two sticks on each channel. Thats why two sticks on a channel causes more stress on the memory controller.

The only reason there are boards with 2 slots, usually lowerend boards to save money on cost.