ram

Gr3yG0053

I read a a forum that if you have four slots for ram and you have two slots filled with 2x512 the that third shot could not be used for ram, i dont nelieve it, but if there is some weird scenario liek this does anyone know about it>?

samuelhii_mei

it makes sense!!
the maximun memory supported by a MB limited the ram!!
what is the link of the forum??(have a read on it)
it also depends on the MB's native support!
a normal MB is DDR2 400

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I read a a forum that if you have four slots for ram and you have two slots filled with 2x512 the that third shot could not be used for ram, I dont nelieve it, but if there is some weird scenario liek this does anyone know about it>?
Several possibilities:
[1] On boards that have three DIMM slots (AthlonXP boards), having all three slots populated means Dual Channel is disabled. Same applies for Intel/A64 boards with 4 sockets, having three sockets populated is just plain wierd.
[2] Again, with 3 DIMM boards, populating all three will drop the speed of the memory down (i.e., PC2700 will clock at PC2100)
[3] On Intel/A64 boards, having all slots filled often means running Command Timing 2T rather than 1T (2T is slower)

some even supported 1Gb only
And some only 512MB :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have two slots open and the other two are filled 2x512
Well it depends how much dual channel means to you. :) If you value Dual Channel then get two sticks or four sticks. If you dont then get 3 :)

Gr3yG0053

well it doesnt mean that much to me, but i do have 2x512 which im not going to get rid of.
i am going to get a new video card, so if i do get another 2x512 throw that with the new video card that will hopefully make it faster.
Also when you say how much duel channel means to me, what do you mean?