ran out of mobo ports

gordonie

So I have the asus z68 deluxe motherboard, the haf x case, and the akasa all in one 2 front card reader.

Problem is, I need a 1394 connection for the card reader, but my front panel header has already occupied the only one my mobo has.

I also need another hd audio connection, which my cases header has already coccupied.

I tried looking for adapters, maybe like splitting a single 1394 or audio connection from my mobo and making it into 2, or just make them run to normal usbs. but I am having no like finding such adapters.

Any advice?

THANKS!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Do you actually use the ones on the case? If not, then just yank them out.

gordonie

well the point is I would like to figure out a way to utilize them both since I was dumb enough to buy the card reader in the first place lol!

I have been scowering the internet for splitters, no luck.

wolfeking

banned
I don't think you will fond one. For the audio, maybe. Or get a audio card with multiple HD headers on it.
The Firewire, no way. Its a tight tolerance as is. Splitting it will cause unreliability. It could probably be adapted to a USB 3 header, but definately not the USB 2 header. Firewire runs at 800 Mb/s, USB 2 is at 480 Mb/s. The increased data transfer would cause a buffer overload on the USB bus.
Try looking for a Firewire header add on card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124034 has one. If your card reader won't reach, you could move the built in to the add on card and run the card reader from the motherboard.

Last edited: