random, blue screen then reboots after like .1 seconds what is wrong?

spdking88

Ok well I have been having this issue for some time now and can not figure it out. At random times it will give me a blue screen really fast it shows only for like .1 seconds then my comp reboots. If someone knows what is wrong and how I could go about fixing it that would be awsome.

pies

has this always happend or has it just started?
if it just started did you make any new changes add any new programs?
what os are you running xp vista etc?

PC eye

banned
There are a few things to consider like a Welcome to the Computer Forum! http://www.computerforum.com/70672-official-welcome-thread.html and the reminder given to new members to review the http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html

The most common cause for seeing a BSOD is a bad driver or clash between two different sets competing with each other for the same memory addresses. The usual cause is video or sound drivers needing a clean install to see that corrected. The swift restarts could also point at a failing supply if you are not seeing this from memory now seeing faults?

A weak battery can be found on a board with a year or more of use until that quits suddenly one day. That along with an overheating cpu caused a series of problems to be seen like sudden restarts on the last build here. Memtest showed all kinds of errors as well until one day nothing was seen when pressing the power button. A fresh battery saw the old case jump back to life fast. Are the video and sound drivers upto date?

spdking88

im running xp and it did just start, I didnt change anything recently. Also when i shut it down it shuts down but it doesn't shut off.

Jabes

banned
go to start click run type sfc /scannow and hit enter that might make your computer shutdown cause it worked for me as far as the blue screen right click on my computer click properties go to the advanced tab and click on settings in the field that it says startup and recovery and uncheck the box that says automaticly restart and then let us know what the blue screen says

PC eye

banned
I've seen sound drivers act up as well as video needing removal and a fresh install at times. Using the msconfig utility to disable a few items may lead to what is actually causing these to be seen. Even drivers for an additional device can sometimes see this too.

addle_brains

Press F8 just before the windows boot to select safe-mode. This will disable most drivers and use generic windows ones. Also uses default polling intervals for such devices that use them. Try uninstalling the driver that shows up during BSOD.

addle_brains

Could be. Just reinstall the OS and it should go away. Make sure you're running the latest versions of drivers, in fact redownload them in case any are corrupt.

patrickv

i recently got a blue screen too, but not a startup, it was either when you log-off or shut down. it appears so fast you don't have the time to read.but i took care of it, it was a windows update failure.
I open commands and typed "sfc /scannow" or something similar.
i seems to reload all xp original files inplace then re-boot. no more blue screen

addle_brains

Repair doesn't always fix the problem, and the windows installer is picky on a good day. Sometimes it won't even let you attempt to repair an installation.

PC eye

banned
I would be listening to patricky there. It would only be a remote possibility for a virus while cross links in the system registry can cause a bad mix of drivers to clash or something cross linked is trying to load at the same time stalling Windows.

The "install to repair" method outlined in the article seen at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm is an effective way to correct a large number of difficult problems.

The first step of trying to get Windows loaded in safe mode to use a driver removal can save time if the current video or sound drivers have been corrupted or saw a bad install somehow. For seeing a BSOD at shutdown that would be a program or service refusing to unload there. Often that's a driver hanging up. BSODs are software related for the most part and you try the corrective measures first before seeing a need to delete the current Windows installation.

spdking88

yeah its not a virus I check all the files that I dl and I f-secure, drivers is most likely the prob I tried uninstalling and reinstalling them and still have the problem ill try booting in safe mode and see how that goes. If worse comes to worse I can still back up all the files I want to keep and give it a fresh install of windows
thx for all the responses it helped greatly

PC eye

banned
The repair install option is still a choice to consider since you only need to repair Windows to a certain extent. First try to remove the drivers with a tool provided for them usually found on the software disk. Take a look at any firewall or antivirus programs as well as other things that load up along with Windows using the msconfig utility.

SPAMfighter tried out here lately saw Windows, IE 7, and anything else simply freeze up totally or barely move. When that "one thing" was removed Windows returned to normal operation. It sounds like just one thing is what you need to find there.