Random BSOD's

JLuchinski

I've been getting random bsod's over the past couple of days. I just got a error kernal data inpage error, earlier I got an unexpected store exception. Does this sound like my motherboard is eating the dust? I was able to cause it to do on purpose by running prime 95 twice, once CPU temp hit 61c it bsod, but then I did again twice and it did not trip it. And about 5 minutes ago my internet stopped working altogether for five minutes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you google those errors, the kernal data inpage error could be from memory or hard drive issue. The unexpected store exception error refers to an issue with the hard drive. I would run a diagnostic scan on your hdd.

JLuchinski

Hmmm, I ran Prime 95 for 8 hours straight, tested the disk and it passed, ran several other benchmarks and it's been stable. Maybe it was that time of the month for my PC? Or menopause? LOL.

JLuchinski

Now for whatever reason I get no sound output at all from headphones or the speakers when it was working just fine ten minutes ago. The volume bar is there in the tray. Things seem to be pointing to motherboard failure?

Darren

Staff member
Now for whatever reason I get no sound output at all from headphones or the speakers when it was working just fine ten minutes ago. The volume bar is there in the tray. Things seem to be pointing to motherboard failure?

Does your sound card show up in device manager? Motherboards don't really "go out" in my experience from what you're describing. Usually they work fine and then all at once they don't. Particularly without some outside influence like power surge or overclocking. Then again it is an HP board according to your sig, and we all know how HP is with quality.

Sounds like the Windows Update borked it, there was a major update recently that you probably had and may not have noticed.

JLuchinski

Does your sound card show up in device manager? Motherboards don't really "go out" in my experience from what you're describing. Usually they work fine and then all at once they don't. Particularly without some outside influence like power surge or overclocking. Then again it is an HP board according to your sig, and we all know how HP is with quality.

Sounds like the Windows Update borked it, there was a major update recently that you probably had and may not have noticed.

Yeah all of my sound devices are there with no issue. I just restarted my computer and was watching a couple of videos and it was working fine then I decided to try and play Doom on Steam and the sound just crapped out again. I'm staring to think it maybe my PSU, the thing is old but it's hard to say at this point.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah all of my sound devices are there with no issue. I just restarted my computer and was watching a couple of videos and it was working fine then I decided to try and play Doom on Steam and the sound just crapped out again. I'm staring to think it maybe my PSU, the thing is old but it's hard to say at this point.
I'd suspect Mobo before PSU.

It's likely OS/drive corruption or indeed a dying mobo. Knowing it's a HP definitely cranks that likelihood up a bit.

JLuchinski

Hmmm, the sound issue seems to be isolated to just doom. No bsods for a few days. The most recent update for Windows was a day after it started happening. I'm confused.