Random Crashes on Games [Cold Case]

Kelton

Hello forum users!

I upgraded to Ryzen about 4 months ago and I've been having some crashing and freezing issues since then. I have tried everything I can think of and I really need help.

Here's a link to my build for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hfxytg

I used to be on Win 7 and when playing games like fortnite, rocket league, and fallout 4 the sceen would turn black for a second and the game would close and then a little pop-up in the bottom right shows saying NVIDIA display driver has stopped working and recovered. I poured over forums looking for a solution but nothing worked. My GPU temps are fine (30-50C) and I tried over and underclocking my GPU. I finally traded graphics cards with my friend and I still have crashes. I also tried changing PCI-E lanes on the MOBO and no difference.

I upgraded to Win 10 to see if it was a software issue. I clean installed even wiped all my personal data too. Now I still get crashes, but they are different. Now the game just freezes in place and then stops responding until I end the task. I also tried moving my games to different drives, It dosen't matter if the game is on an HDD, SSD, or M.2 SSD. It still crashes.

I've also tried overclocking my ram and changing the XMP profile.

I believe I have tried everything I can think of short of doing an RMA on my MOBO or CPU. I'm asking for help on a next step. Should I be trying to RMA the MOBO, it's still under warranty.

Thank you for your time.

-Kelton

beers

Staff member
Have you flashed the latest BIOS/UEFI? They've had a lot of RAM related improvements since release.

You could also manually load the XMP profile but click down the RAM speed to like 2400 for testing.

Darren

Staff member
Likely a RAM issue, most likely compatability with speeds and the board/RAM. Do as @beers suggested. Might need to mess around with RAM timings/speeds to get it right. My 3200MHz kit still won't work at 3200MHz. Gotta use XMP Profile for 2933MHz and it's fine. Possible you have faulty hardware but I doubt it.