Windows 7 Random Crashing (BIOS/CMOS Reset Issues)

Alexk2695

I was being dumb and accidentally disabled the graphics card/GPU on my laptop, so I attempted to reset the CMOS by the battery method. This fixed the issue of the graphics card being disabled, but now the laptop started randomly crashing. I think it has something to do with the CMOS reset because the date and time keep reverting to 12/31/2012, even when I change it.

I thought that resting BIOS from the menu might work, but on the A05 BIOS version it seems that all of the options to load the defaults are disabled. There is an option using the F9 key to "setup defaults" but all that does is make the screen flash for a half a second. There is also an option under the "Exit" tab in BIOS that says "Load Optimal Defaults", but that option is greyed out and cannot be selected, as with most of the options in BIOS.

I apologize if this issue has previously been solved, I could not find the answer to my problem elsewhere.

*I've tried replacing the CMOS battery, and the problem persists.
*The computer does turn back on after it crashes, but things like the date and time have been reset.
*I re-enabled the GPU when I turned it back on for the first time
*Update: I tried a factory reset and the problem is still occurring.

*UPDATE 2: I WAS ABLE TO UPDATE THE BIOS TO VERSION A16, I AM STILL HAVING ISSUES WITH RANDOM CRASHING.

-BIOS Version: A16 (was A05)
-Alienware 17 (R1)
-Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU
*(I'm not good with computer specs so I'm not quite sure what to put here)

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Set the time and leave the laptop plugged in overnight. If it's still losing the date and time you probably just need a new CMOS battery since it's not holding a charge (and losing the time as a result).