Random freezing

hypheriox

Specs
CPU-AMD FX 9590
GPU-Radeon R9280
PSU-Silverstone 850
MOBO-Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

I don't know what is happening, I can be watching Netflix or playing PUBG. My pc will just randomly freeze, no artifacts, no sounds, it just stops. It forces me to do a hard reboot and gives no error message. So far I've ruled out the ram, I just don't know what to test next. I need to get this fix because I'm going to be selling the pc very soon. any help is appreciated.

OmniDyne

Hi hypheriox!

What did you do to rule out the RAM? (Ran tests? Swapped out/ removed RAM sticks?)

Have you updated any drivers as of late?
Has Windows updated any drivers lately?

What version of Windows are you using?

How often does the freezing occur? (Frequency of occurance)

Have you upgraded any hardware components as of late?

Freezing is an annoying and often lengthy process to figure out, but I'm confident it can be fixed!

Last edited:

hypheriox

To rule out the ram I performed multiple tests as well as swapped it out with a different set and the issue persisted

I have had this issue for a while so I don’t believe drivers are the culprit. I am currently on the recommended drivers for my hardware.

I am running Windows 10 pro

The freezing happens at random times.

No recent hardware changes

OmniDyne

Based on my research, that motherboard was originally released in 2011. Is that when you purchased the motherboard?

If it's possible, move your graphics card to the other compatible PCI Express slot. If you have another graphics card handy, I would test that card in your system and see if the problem persists. That would eliminate the graphics card being the culprit.

If you have any other components inserted in the PCI slots, remove them to eliminate possibilities. In my experience, freezing has always been hardware related. So I'd like to try to narrow down hardware first.

hypheriox

ive had this system for about 3 years now. I don't have a spare GPU but I do have a spare MOBO that I can swap in and see if that helps.

OmniDyne

Oh no, that won't help quite yet, if you can just swap the graphics card to the other PCI slot first and let us know if anything changes! :)

Agent Smith

I am running Windows 10 pro

There's your problem. I suppose an update has torn crap up, especially if it updated your manufacturer given drivers. You can turn that option off. I'd never let Microsoft update my drivers especially when their own updates lack major quality control and besides the fact the manufacturer are the ones that made the driver work with their hardware.

Other than an update causing grief, perhaps it's an over heating issue or a PSU issue. Run Core Temp and GPU Temp and post your numbers.