Random PC crash

I'm having issues with my PC randomly crashing while gaming. Everything will be fine then suddenly the PC freezes up and that's it. Need to hard reset. Screen doesn't tare to indicate video card. CPU passed the Intel diagnostic tool however did hit 100 degrees. RAM also passed the tests. What else can I try? I have noticed the CPU voltage seems to jump all over the place while I'm gaming. Not sure if this is normal. Running an i5 8600. Did have a power surge a few months back that destroyed my power supply. Wondering if the CPU is damaged as well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Max temp for that is 100 degrees. So you have an issue either with thermal paste or something. Are you overclocking at all?

No overclock at all. I did re apply thermal paste a few months ago. The CPU doe not always get hot as I am constantly monitoring the heat. Often the computer will crash while the temp is showing 60 to 70

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in the Event Viewer for any signs of issues. What motherboard and bios version is installed on it?

Only a cheap motherboard right now it's a Biostar B365GTA not sure of bios version. I brought this cheap motherboard to replace my old one after it was damaged in the power surge.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What was the original motherboard? Did you do a fresh install of windows? If not, this could be what is causing all your issues. You can also check this directory for any crash dumps. C:\windows\minidump If there is then run this.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

No errors showing with bluescreen or in even viewer. Was a complete fresh Windows install with the new board. Went from an asrock gaming board, cant remember which one but it was a mid range board.

A long shot, but could you try to look at the "View Reliability history"
That will show if there are any errors noted around the points in time that your computer has shown it´s errors....
www.howtogeek.com