Rant: Internet in the Boonies

beers

Staff member
Apparently these are the rates available to my parents. Complete rip!

They've had the same speed packages for years but the price keeps going up on the same speed. Dem profits doe.

nGxyZI2.png

beers

Staff member
Move to Romania then. 10$/Month for this.
But Calin you don't pay for anything as it is :p

Our place has gigabit for $70 but is in a large metro area. Just shows how much the monopolized rural areas will take advantage of people.

AlienMenace

A friend of mine lives out in the country near Knoxville, Iowa and he is on satellite internet. Suppose to be getting 25mbp, tested it last week and it came up about half of that.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently these are the rates available to my parents. Complete rip!

They've had the same speed packages for years but the price keeps going up on the same speed. Dem profits doe.

nGxyZI2.png
That is a rip off
But Calin you don't pay for anything as it is :p

Our place has gigabit for $70 but is in a large metro area. Just shows how much the monopolized rural areas will take advantage of people.
I’m jealous of you people with your gigabit speeds, our stupid government went with a cheap option and max speed available is 100mbs but because of the crappy cheap second rate technology they used, you can’t even get anywhere close to that due to congestion

Laquer Head

In Canada you can get high download, but unless you go with a smaller provider or are on an institutions connection, if you need more than 50m upload you are pretty much ****ed. My residential package for instance

canada.png

Intel_man

VIP Member
Telus in Canada offers 150/150 if you're on their Fibre connection. They're definitely holding back on gigabit speeds because no one else offers it.

Ugh.