Re-Do entire computer

mwm

My computer isnt workin like it should, its a 2.2 Pentium 4 with 512mb ram, 160gb HD, and its runnin really slow and crappy, i want to completely erase EVERYTHING on the computer and start form scratch, how do i do this??? :confused:

Hylian

Do you have a copy of your Operating System?

If you do, throw it in your CD drive, goto you BISO (at start up, you'll have a window of opportunity to enter it by pressing F2, DEL, or someother key) and make sure your CD boots before your hard drive.

Only speaking for XP -- you'll have an option to format your computer (or command line, which you type "format C:") Do so, then reboot, and then the installation process with begin.

I would think you'd want more info than that, so try here for win XP: http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/

Alphatronix

If you want to completly nuke your comp. You'll have to zero out the drive..

Identify your hard drive make and model

Download the Wipe or Zero Utility from the Hard Drive Manufacturers Web Site. Wiping or Zeroing the drive will return it to factory fresh condition basically... Reformatting alone might not work..

4W4K3

VIP Member
i use a program called WDCLEAR, jsut google that. save on floppy and boot with it. then run it, and it will write 0's to your entire drive. it can also check your drive for errors and a few other things. then just reinstall your OS, and activate it, and you should be done.

speedyink

VIP Member
i'm not sure if this will work with XP, but it works with 98. Haven't tried it for XP. Get your computer to run in DOS (not the windowed one, the one where windows is not running) and when in DOS, type in:
format c:\
it will ask you to make sure, type in yes. once its done, take your windows cd and put it in, then turn the computer off. turn it on with the cd in, and it should boot off the cd. Make sure you have the full and not the upgrade disc.

Like I said, I haven't tried this for XP so it may not work.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My computer isnt workin like it should, its a 2.2 Pentium 4 with 512mb ram, 160gb HD, and its runnin really slow and crappy, I want to completely erase EVERYTHING on the computer and start form scratch, how do I do this???
Grab a copy of, say, Windows XP and then head on over to http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Only speaking for XP -- you'll have an option to format your computer (or command line, which you type "format C:") Do so, then reboot, and then the installation process with begin.
With XP and 2K and 2K3 its best to use the interface provided during installation as it supports NTFS :)

If you want to completly nuke your comp. You'll have to zero out the drive..
I dont quite think thats fully needed here (also you dont have to zero, its best to zero, one and multiple-random) :)

XP doesn't have DOS.
So what's the recovery console? :p