Read all the guides, Still need help building my first computer!

epkrnftblluva

Hi guys! New member here ^_^. I spent the last hour reading all the how to threads and I am still lost. A lot of the guides were outdated as well, with Core 2 Duos discussed as the main processor. The only thing I seem to be sure about is that the i5-3750k is the best for gaming and I only need 8gb ram for gaming. However, I'm still in need of more help building my first computer.

I'm looking to use my rig for mainly gaming and looking for play bf4 on max settings when it comes out. I'm looking to first buy the components of the pc that won't be outdated or outperformanced by this fall. That sounds kind of vague, but basically I want to be able to incorporate the parts I buy now into more advanced parts I buy in the fall, when battlefield 4 comes out.

I have an overall budget of around $1000, so any parts/suggestions would help! I already have a monitor/keyboard/speakers so no worries about that. If you guys think I would be able to run BF4 on max with less than $1000, please let me know! I know I'm a new member, but I would also appreciate why you suggest that part. I'm very interested in learning about computers as well so I'm not on a crutch for the rest of my life on computers! Thank you! :D

Last edited:

epkrnftblluva

Here's is the updated build list. I'm going to hold off on the GPU because I can get that in the fall, and the intel CPU comes with a simple graphics card.

1.Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
2. Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

3. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

4. ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
5. Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
6. SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Any way I could save money on this guys? Like getting better performance by cheaper? I want bang for the buck

PCunicorn

Get a Gigabyte UD3H Z77. What GPU will you be getting? Because a 500W PSU would work fine for that build and a HD 6870 or something around there.

spirit

Staff member
What you've got planned looks good enough to me (you could get the UD3H if you wanted but there's nothing wrong with the ASUS board at all). You'll need a graphics card for gaming, and I know you're planning to get one later. If when you buy one the 7870 and 7950 are still current GPUs, I'd recommend either one of those depending on your budget.

You could save money by going down to a Corsair CX 600 power supply. It will still be more than adequate. You could also get a 300R rather than a 400R and save money there but still end up with a good case. I believe the 840 SSD is also a bit on the pricety side - look at the SanDisk Extreme (may be a bit cheaper).

notredameguy10

Hi guys! New member here ^_^. I spent the last hour reading all the how to threads and I am still lost. A lot of the guides were outdated as well, with Core 2 Duos discussed as the main processor. The only thing I seem to be sure about is that the i5-3750k is the best for gaming and I only need 8gb ram for gaming. However, I'm still in need of more help building my first computer.

I'm looking to use my rig for mainly gaming and looking for play bf4 on max settings when it comes out. I'm looking to first buy the components of the pc that won't be outdated or outperformanced by this fall. That sounds kind of vague, but basically I want to be able to incorporate the parts I buy now into more advanced parts I buy in the fall, when battlefield 4 comes out.

I have an overall budget of around $1000, so any parts/suggestions would help! I already have a monitor/keyboard/speakers so no worries about that. If you guys think I would be able to run BF4 on max with less than $1000, please let me know! I know I'm a new member, but I would also appreciate why you suggest that part. I'm very interested in learning about computers as well so I'm not on a crutch for the rest of my life on computers! Thank you! :D

This is my build that I finished yesterday! Not including the monitor, Sound Card, or Wireless card, it was right at $1100 after finding sale prices! A cheaper motherboard might be better, but i decided to splurge on it lol. And the gtx 670 ftw is one hell of a graphics card.

CPU: i5-3570k - $190
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth - $200
GPU: eVGA GTX 670 FTW - $280
PSU: Corsair 650tx V2 - $60
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB - $45
HD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB - $53
HD: Samsung 840 250GB - $135
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120mm - $35
Case: Corsair 600t - $100
Optical: Lite-on 24x - $17
(Sound: Sound Blaster Z - $80)
(Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 -$40)

This scored extremely well on my benchmark testing after overclocking :)