READ or POLL Register

Camerart

Hi,
I want to POLL a register in Oshonsoft BASIC

I am able to READ the Register, but I can figure how to POLL it.

I'm trying to name a BIT in a register, so I can POLL it.

This particular register is at 0X02 and it is BIT '0'

Can anyone help please?
Cheers, Camerart.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Polling is generally reading repeatedly over time until you're satisfied. i.e. maybe you are polling until the bit goes on, or off.

I am not familiar with Oshonsoft basic, it may have a built in command for it, but if you can already read the register you probably just need to implement a loop to read until the value is correct.

Camerart

Polling is generally reading repeatedly over time until you're satisfied. i.e. maybe you are polling until the bit goes on, or off.

I am not familiar with Oshonsoft basic, it may have a built in command for it, but if you can already read the register you probably just need to implement a loop to read until the value is correct.
Hi C,
So it looks like the difference is: that READing saves to a variable and POLLING just looks but doesn't save?

I haven't found an Oshonsoft BASIC command for polling, so I READ it. To me this has been confuring because on the DATA sheet of the chip I'm READing/PPOLLING, it only give the POLLING choice or MONITOR. Maybe MONITOR means POLLING in their eyes?
Thanks.
C.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can save it or not, in cs terms polling usually means you read it over and over until a condition is met - usually that what you read is a certain value

Camerart

You can save it or not, in cs terms polling usually means you read it over and over until a condition is met - usually that what you read is a certain value
Hi C,
With Oshonsoft, POLL is IF'ed and READ is read, therefore I know a variable is needed for READ, but I'm not sure for POLL.
C