Reading a mac HDD on a pc?

H_L

I have a 3tb 3.5inch internal HDD that is from a mac so is it possible to get it to run on a pc? I need to back it up somehow.

I can get it to come up in disc manager but just about everything is greyed out. I know something about for a HDD to work it has to have a drive letter assigned or something??

I don’t care if the pc can’t read the file types on it I just need to dump it all onto another drive like copy and paste or clone or whatever works.

I have used some programs that read mac hardrives but the software isn’t detecting the drive.

Any ideas?

Cheers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the drive work in the computer it came out of? Were you having any issues with it? If so, it may be failing. What brand of drive is it?

beers

Staff member
If you don't need the data you could repartition/reformat it to NTFS and use it.

If you want the data off of the drive there are a few software options that will read the HFS+ file system, which Windows doesn't natively support.

If you just wanted a mirror of the drive you could mount it on a Linux system and DD the contents to a tar or similar.

H_L

Thankyou for all your replies!!
I don’t know if it worked in the mac it was out of....probably did but the computer is retired now:eek:
It's a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3Tb

I need the info of it otherwise I would just format itit has games and tons of music on it but I'm more concerned about the music as it will be near impossible to get it all again(legally purchased) so that's why. there are some resume documents on there but they can be done again.

I’ll try a Linux system ;)

I did try 2 programs that state they will read hsf+ and alike but they didn’t even recognize the hardrive :(
clip_image001.png

Last edited: