Really bad performance. Are my computer specs really enough. What do I need? Wait for new tech?

Psychotron

Hello. I've posted on computer message forums twice that I can think of in the past 2 years asking if I need a new computer (after posting my specs) since mine often slows to a crawl. Overwhelmingly, everyone has said that my specs are enough. However, yesterday I became aware of the "Resource Manager" on my computer, and it looks very bad to me. Here is the pic: Computerresources.JPG

I was wondering if someone with a little more experience could take a look at the screenshot of the Resource Monitor I posted and give me their opinion. It reflects normal use for me.

I don't think the problem is my Internet connection because it's directly connected by ethernet and I'm getting more than 100Mbps.

Also, I've saved up my money, and I now have the means to buy a new computer. I'm willing to spend a lot of money on it because my computer is really important to me (kind of like a new car for some people).

The ONLY reasons I'd wait is for new technology to come out (or if it turns out that I really don't need a new computer, even after looking that this pic) (eg. it can be solved by getting more RAM (which it looks like I may need according to this pic. Although I've been told differently).

This is what I'm looking at getting (I know it's expensive but, as I said, it's kind of like a new car for me): http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=18

I found this on the comparison guide of best computers from PCMag.com. I upgraded a few things so what I'd be getting would be about $3100.

So if no new technology is coming out, I may end up just getting that one (I posted the specs below). I have some questions:
  1. I don't keep up much with new technology. Does anyone know of anything (like a new processor) coming out soon that would be worth waiting for?
  2. Could my problems be solved by just getting something inexpensive like more RAM (giving me more time to wait for next cutting-edge tech)?
I don't play games, so I won't be using it for that.

What I do on my computer (I have three 27" monitors):
  • Search the net (maybe 10-15 tabs open at once in Chrome)
  • Stream live TV news
  • MS Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint
  • ACDSee photo editor
  • Spotify
  • Pandora
  • Avast

Here are my specs for this computer (from DxDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
  • System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
  • System Model: p6680t
  • BIOS: 11/05/10 15:07:18 Ver: 6.14
  • Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
  • Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 6008MB RAM
  • Page File: 5337MB used, 6674MB available
  • Windows Dir: C:\Windows
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 11
  • DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  • User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
  • System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
  • DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

This is what I'm thinking about getting (I upgraded the processor from i7 to i9 and the RAM from 16 to 32GB:

• Power Supply 750 Watt EVGA® SuperNOVA Power Supply, 80Plus Bronze Certified, > 80% efficiency
  • Motherboard Asus® TUF X299 Mark 2 Intel® X299 based chipset, ATX Motherboard
  • Processor Intel® Core® i9-7900X Processor, 10-core @ 3.3GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) with HT, 13.75MB L3 Cache, 140 watts (+$785.00)
  • DDR4 Memory 32GB Crucial® Ballistix™ DDR4-2400MHz (4 x 8GB), CAS 16 latency, low voltage (+$220.00)
  • Tuning Advanced CPU Hyperclocking, Motherboard, and Memory Performance Optimization
  • Video Card 2GB EVGA® NVIDIA® GeForce GTX1050 GDDR5 video card
  • Video Tuning Moderate 3D Video Performance Tuning & Optimization
  • Hard Drive 1 275GB Crucial® MX300 Solid State Drive - 500MBps Read/500MBps write speed (Great value)
  • Network 1 Integrated 10/100/1000MBps Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
  • Operating System Microsoft® Windows® 10 Home, including original OEM Disk

Thank you for looking at this.

beers

Staff member
6G isn't that much RAM, the PC slows way down when it runs out because you're swapping memory contents to the pagefile/swap space on the hard drive. Seems like a boatload of Chrome tabs is using all of it.

You could throw in some more RAM and get more consistent performance without dropping $3k. The PC you listed is largely overkill unless you have a specific need like video encoding.

New technology is always coming out, it's usually best to build around a process advancement such as 'Ryzen refresh coming out in february' or similar.

OmniDyne

As was already stated, a simple RAM upgrade would have your PC running like new.

However, 137 processes running seems incredibly high for Windows 7.

And again, as was stated, there is no reason to spend $3,000.

In addition to RAM, a simple SSD upgrade or Windows 10 (still free) upgrade would make an incredible difference for cheap.

Last edited:

Psychotron

I never know that switching to Windows 10 would help. I've been stubborn about switching, but if it improves the performance, it's worth considering. Especially since I'd end up getting it anyway. I think I will try getting more RAM. Can you give an idea of how much RAM I might need based on my usage? I think I will take the advice to try building around it first. Would be great if that ended up fixing my problems.

Thanks,
Brad

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give an idea of how much RAM I might need based on my usage?
Can you tell us what speed memory you already have installed? The HP will only use 1333mhz ram and lower with a max ram of 4x4gb which is 16gb. You are looking at about 150 bucks to max that out with new ram. Frankly if you have the money to build new, I would. That system came out in 2010 so its 8 years old already.

Psychotron

The speed says 1333. I don't think that I'd end up building my own computer. I will look up the compatibility of the RAM on the HP website.