Really bad performance with games?

flashingpoint

Hi,

I'm having a really annoying problem with my PC. Some games just won't run smooth. I'm talking about these games:

Split/Second Velocity (only 25-30FPS at medium settings)
Need for Speed: The Run (not even 25FPS at lowest settings)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 (25 FPS at medium)
Blur (25-30 FPS at high settings)

These games are not quite playable. Sometimes the framerate drops to something like 15 (explosions, smoke...). I installed the latest drivers and updates. This is the system:

AMD Athlon X2 250 @3.16GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTS450 1GB
4GB RAM
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I hope there is someone who can help me!

thanks!

SuperDuperMe

Oh wow, that does sound quite low :/ for that resolution. Your gts450 isnt massively great but they are decent for gaming at that res. Iv never played the games youve listed so dont know how they should perform. That said have you had a look at your temperatures to see if they are high?

If not search google for hwmonitor, download it off cnet and run it, that will tel you your temps.

Someone with more experiance with the games youve listed should be along soon :p They may be able to tell you whats going on but that does sound like low performance.

Has the performance always been the same? or has it been better at some point or other.

flashingpoint

The performance has always been like this. Games like Assassins Creed 2 or Revelations work fine (res. 1280x960 with high settings) and GTA IV runs well too (only shadows turned off). Also Borderlands gives me only 30-35FPS at high settings but at the 1024x768 resolution!

I installed the latest beta drivers from the Nvidia website 295.51. But with older drivers I had this problem too!
Maybe I'm going to install my old copy of Windows XP. Can't remember that I had the problems when I had XP!

Last edited:

flashingpoint

I re-installed my PC again with 7 Ultimate this time (a friend of mine has a computershop). I'm going to test out some games and will post the results!

I_BUILD_NASTYS

Hi,

I'm having a really annoying problem with my PC. Some games just won't run smooth. I'm talking about these games:

Split/Second Velocity (only 25-30FPS at medium settings)
Need for Speed: The Run (not even 25FPS at lowest settings)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 (25 FPS at medium)
Blur (25-30 FPS at high settings)

These games are not quite playable. Sometimes the framerate drops to something like 15 (explosions, smoke...). I installed the latest drivers and updates. This is the system:

AMD Athlon X2 250 @3.16GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTS450 1GB
4GB RAM
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I hope there is someone who can help me!

thanks!

your processor isnt the greatest, you videocard should be able to handle those games.

flashingpoint

I re-installed Windows 7, this time 64-bit Ultimate. I played Assassins Creed 2 for about 15 minutes. I'm getting 25-35 FPS, I think Average is something like 27. Not really nice to play. Youtube-video's are showing me better performance on much weaker pc's!

How is this possible? (Nvidia drivers 295.51 I think)

salvage-this

Can you check your CPU GPU and RAM usages while in game? I have seen a athlon x2 bottleneck in games like that before. Not really sure that that would be the source of your problems but it would be a good thing to check over.

turbodiesel

i have a ancient acer desktop and it can play just about any game which only has 256mb of ram but a upgraded video and sound card and can play games playably

flashingpoint

I'm going to test a few games right now. Starting with Assassins Creed 1.

Update: I played Assassins Creed 1 for about 30 minutes, I'm getting 25-30 FPS, not really much. The task manager shows me that the processor usage is around 65-75 %.

Last edited:

flashingpoint

I think that might be something. It says this while playing Assassins Creed 1

GPU LOAD: 98% (when I shut down the game it immediately goes back to 5%)
Memory Used: 365MB
Temperature: 45 degrees celcius

And why is my fan speed stuck at 41%? It's not getting any higher or lower?

I'm also getting really low results at 3Dmark's 06 benchmark and Windows Performance Index! (only 4,4 because of my Graphics Display)

Last edited:

salvage-this

Alright well judging off your loads on your CPU and GPU it looks like you are getting all of the performance that your system can give. A system with a less than 100% cpu usage and close to 100% GPU usage should indicate that everything is running properly.

You can fine tune those games to see if there are any settings that massively take down the performance. For example you might get 60 fps with 0xAA and AF but with them both turned to max you might get 30fps. You might want to check the nVidia control panel to make sure that you are not forcing crazy levels of CXAA or whatever they call it.

Last edited:

claptonman

Yup, like said, your GPU is holding you back. Don't be expecting to play on high settings with that machine. I'd go with low-medium settings. And do you have Vsync on?

And going from home premium to ultimate was a waste of time. The difference between ultimate and home premium is language packs and some business utilities.

Ischinel

change the in game settings, dont have it on high and certain settings can and should be turned off to improves fps.