Really high cpu usage problem

ndnchico

When performing normal tasks, my computer works perfectly. When I try playing a DVD on my computer, my cpu usage goes up to around 90-100% I have an AMD XP2400+ processor. This causes everything on my computer to run slowly including the dvd. The movie is in broken motions and so is the sound for the dvd. My computer runs a lot slower when I am playing a dvd, including all other sounds. I tried playing the same dvd on my hp computer (Intel chip) and the cpu usage during the dvd play is around 5-15%, so everything runs smoothly on there. I'm not sure what to do about my AMD computer though. Please let me know

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have AMD XP 2000+, but the dvd-playback is smooth under very low cpu usage. So it's either a configuration either other hardware issue. What dvd-player program do you use? And what's your video card?

ndnchico

I have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro and I use power dvd for my program. I have also tried using realplayer and mediaplayer, but i have the same problem. If I remember correctly, I used to be able to play dvd's perfectly when I first made my computer, this has happened quite recently.

ndnchico

I have spyware/adware programs on my computer and have tried that. I installed a some video codecs a while ago.

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Since you have an ATI card, why don't you use ATI DVD-player? It's optimised for these cards.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I try playing a DVD on my computer, my cpu usage goes up to around 90-100% I have an AMD XP2400+ processor.
Check drive DMA/PIO :)

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

Since you have an ATI card, why don't you use ATI DVD-player? It's optimised for these cards.
Unless that ATi card has hardware MPEG2 support (which I doubt), DVD playback is virtually all CPU :) ... the ATI player is a fancy skin for another player (please correct me if im wrong there)

ndnchico

my drives are set in dma mode. About the ATI DVD player program, my video card did not come with one and I can't seem to find a download site. If you know one let me know. The download at the ATI site is for an upgrade.