Really OLD Games

taibhreamh

I was wondering if anyone might know how I might get hold of some really old computer games? There were a ton that I played as a kid that I'd love to get my hands on, partly for nostalgia, partly because I think my little kid might at the very least be amused. I'd really rather avoid the updated versions of these games, I'm looking for stuff that came out in the early nineties. Or, if you don't know where to get these, an updated version that's actually really good and close to the original?

Some of the ones I'd like to find:

Commander Keen
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego Deluxe (the version that had little animated henchmen?)
Math Blaster
Math Munchers
Earthworm Jim

I also wouldn't mind recommendations for games similar to these.

Method9

I remember getting Commander Keen on floppy. I'd imagine some Websites have those kinds of games available on flash.

sometechieguy

There are actually a lot of old games out there legally for free under the term "abandoned ware" meaning the copyright holders have decided the game no longer has commercial value and they have released the game to the public domain to download freely.

Search google for "abandoned ware" and you'll get lots of old pc games.
Of course the occasional old game like Starcraft or Doom is so popular it never reaches the point of becoming Abandoned Ware - but when you can buy the old game for $5 or $10 from the publishers website (sometimes) or ebay or amazon, who cares really? It's when the publishers still sell a 10 year old game for $40-50 I get really annoyed.

If you like old RPG's I recommend Darksun: Shattered Lands. Great storyline, pretty open ended gameplay for it's time. Some kind folks bought the source code and the rights to it and released it for free with the intent of making an online game out of it.

Darth Shadious

yeah, steam has a lot of sega throwback games, like my personal fav, Ecco the dolphin. It costed me $3 for the download. BTW, I loved earthworm Jim.

jam70

I don´t know anyone of these games..But ebay offers a lot of old games, some old web games you´ll may find here..

Last edited: