Recently bought PC. My first time ever. I'm huge into gaming Need help

Pattyb

Hey,

I just recently bought a Dell XPS Desktop.

It has an Intel core i7-7700 processor, 16gb memory, 16gb Intel Optane accelerated 1TB hard drive, and Integrated Intel HD Graphics.

I realize that this doesn't have a super high graphics card and was wondering what the best option for graphics cards would be. I'm looking to spend around 250-350 on one. I've heard about the GTX 1060 one, but I'm super new into this business and I'm really not sure what to buy.

I play games like overwatch and PUBG and would want to run the graphics and frame rate at the highest possible rate.

Thank you,
OG

beers

Staff member
I'm curious how something is branded XPS without having a dedicated GPU.

He was curious how much wattage your power supply is rated for so we can suggest a video card to go with it. It should say on the spec sheet for your build, or if you're brave and take off the side panel it's printed on the side of the unit (big box looking thing).

Pattyb

I'm curious how something is branded XPS without having a dedicated GPU.

He was curious how much wattage your power supply is rated for so we can suggest a video card to go with it. It should say on the spec sheet for your build, or if you're brave and take off the side panel it's printed on the side of the unit (big box looking thing).

it is a 460W power supply i believe.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can give us a specific model number, that would help. Some of those OEM psu's may say 460 watts but only put out around 350 or so. We have to know for sure before we can recommend a video card.

Pattyb

If you can give us a specific model number, that would help. Some of those OEM psu's may say 460 watts but only put out around 350 or so. We have to know for sure before we can recommend a video card.
i googled it so i think it's pretty accurate, but it's model number is 8920.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well according to the back of the tower there isn't a spot for integrated graphics to connect to monitor. Can you go into device manager and expand display adapters and tell me what is listed? That psu is a dual rail unit, not sure I would trust it running any decent card. And if you are high into gaming, you'll need a more powerful psu anyway. As it is the 1060 will barely squeak by on that psu. I'm like @beers on this as I've never seen an xps desktop without a dedicated card in it.

Pattyb

Well according to the back of the tower there isn't a spot for integrated graphics to connect to monitor. Can you go into device manager and expand display adapters and tell me what is listed? That psu is a dual rail unit, not sure I would trust it running any decent card. And if you are high into gaming, you'll need a more powerful psu anyway. As it is the 1060 will barely squeak by on that psu. I'm like @beers on this as I've never seen an xps desktop without a dedicated card in it.

Well there is a spot if i bought a graphics card that i plug in and it will come out the back.

Pattyb

okay so i expanded the displa adapters, and it has intel(R) HD Graphics 630. and by PSU do you mean the power supply?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to the games you want to play, the 6gb version of the 1060 would be good. However, I would definitely upgrade that power supply to a good 500 watt unit like something from Corsair, cx500 or cx500m. Sometimes you can get the modular one cheaper, dpending on sales.

Pattyb

thank you m
According to the games you want to play, the 6gb version of the 1060 would be good. However, I would definitely upgrade that power supply to a good 500 watt unit like something from Corsair, cx500 or cx500m. Sometimes you can get the modular one cheaper, dpending on sales.

thank you man i really appreciate it! any links to those so i can find them easier?