recommend antivirus software

Castle

Hi. I am using windows vista home premium.
I have 2 antivirus software to buy in mind.

1. norton antivirus 2008
2. mcafee virusscan plus 2008

Which of the 2 antivirus software would you recommend? Most importantly it must not have conflict with windows vista.

Also, is there a difference between OEM and retail antivirus software? Which is recommended?

PunterCam

They're both shite. I've had nothing but problems with these things, now I just use windows firewall. 2 years, online roughly 15 hours a day, never any problems. Windows Defender always seems alright as well, I don't know why you'd want more tbh

PC eye

banned
The software designer at Grisoft makes things small and simple and not bloated up like other companies! Meanwhile Norton and McAfee alike are at the bottom of the barrel period! Those are about the worst two ever written.

aravind

idea:

hi those two r mere scraps , u first go for antivir else u go for AVG .

antivir is rated best and one step ahead when compared to that of AVG .

im using AVG, its good , im about to try antivir,

1st try antivir if not satisfied AVG is opt for u

all the best :)

PC eye

banned
I've ran Win AntiVIR and others here and still end up back with AVG. Even with AVG totally disabled in the startup and services groups in the msconfig it will come out of nowhere with the active protection shield to point something out fast.

And that's only the free version being referred to. The_Other_One made the correct call regardless of the reviews since I have to look at actual results while in use.

darthluke12694

Good...But Bad

I have had both Norton and McAfee. McAfee is no good nothing but trouble. I have had a lot of trouble with Norton, yet it works and is good. I currently have Norton on Vista, but AVG works to, and for free.

PC eye

banned
I ran McAfee at one time some years back and simply dumped it on an old 95 system then. I went for some time with a quick try out of Symantec System Works and tossed shortly after then on a newer 98 system. Alias Grisoft's AVG Free edition came along with the no nonsense approach.

KRH

Hi castle

i have used many anti-virus software including both shareware & freeware. i also researh on them which is good or bad.As u mentioned.. u r using vista home edition, then u should use AVG Free Edition.Give it a try & u will never want to remove it.

About shareware anti-virus like norton,mccaffe..yuuk..this are just system resourse HOGS.

Hope that it will help u..

PC eye

banned
I gave Avast a try here and ended up dumping it to go back to AVG. Besides the latest 7.5 build I add another layer of active protection with Spyware Terminator that has also been given a good testing lately and proved itself worth keeping on.

THAANSA3

Direct answer: I haven't used Norton, but I've used McAfee and it's a resource hot to the nth degree. I've heard that Norton 2008 has vastly improved in this area. My sister's computer takes forever to load since installing McAfee. In fact, we only use it because the cable company offers it for free.

Indirect answer: If you really intend on paying for something, go with Kaspersky or NOD32. Both are very light on resources and have better detection rates than Norton (not by much) and McAfee. If you get one of these two, you will not be disappointed.

PC eye

banned
I can readily agree on McAfee being a good thing to simply remove! While some knock AVG it's also a free as well as seeing a retail product out. In fact one of the favored malware removers formerly known as Ewido is now called the AVG Anti-spyware free edition seen along the AVG 7.5 and AVG rootkit tool at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free

From comparison however Spyware Terminator will do a far better job even passing Ad-Aware for the typical data miners while Lavasoft's program there will take on all kinds of browser hijackers seeing registry entrie removed. The ST program is one to install after everything is on when and if you need to reinstall or simply see a fresh install of Windows put on. It will get annoying prompting for every new registry entry!

aSc1@3

I'd have to agree with pc eye, norton and mcafee are horrible and the scans take forever. I have been using avg free for years, with nothing but happiness. also, latley i've trided pccillin, it's better in that it has more internet security, but it is a nightmare for wireless routers, but hey, bothersome security is than none! but, i still prefer avg, and i find that in combination with windows firewall and defender, my system (also vista) is completely secure. But if you're willing to pay some moola, i would go with avg proffesional. The proffesional edition i've noticed can heal MANY more virus and such, but even with the free edition, they still have a reliable quarentine. Also, on the topic of internet software, try ccleaner. just don't mess with any of the registry stuff. You'll need a more specialized program for that.

PC eye

banned
Anytime you go into the registry you do so at your own risk as the expression goes on that. One little oops! and your system is down until repaired "if?" you can fix problems yourself! That's the key word on that one. "oh no... :eek: "

Besides pointing at any one problem being ahead of the game by being familiar with several not just one or two programs places you in the lead when "something" does get past. No matter how good any ratings are there's always some pccason where a special remover for a particular I-Worm or some other bug is needed.

In some sense you have to be able to outsmart the source of an infection by being a little more flexible. Those that write this type of crap are already well familiar with the programs available.

PC eye

banned
AVG pro 8.0 is very good.

So you went for the latest full version. Good for you!

The one thing to note about Grisoft products is that they are not bloated up but very basic and effective programs when used correctly. Why some things that are harmless may raise flags at times is due to being even a slight change being reported by the active protection process.

I've run into that a few times when moving files between drives including the links found in your IE favorites and saw AVG spring up due to simply being url type files. But one thing to remember is that there's no one program that will catch every bug since many are written to get past the softwares already out whether retail or free.