Recommend me a camera?

El DJ

I want a camera, my first good camera, and I'm going to get my mom to get it for me for my birthday next month. I don't really know where to begin, but if anyone can recommend a camera for me for under $300, I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

aviation_man

What kind of shooting are you interested in? Do you just want to point and shoot, or do you want to get into photography?

El DJ

I want to get into photography as a hobby. I have a point and shoot nikon. I used my senior project mentor's DSLR and fell in love, but I can't ask for anything that expensive (That particular model was $3,000!)

Ben

VIP Member
Do you know if you're interested in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc...?

If you're planning on getting into photography as a hobby, I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $350 to $400.

You mentioned ask--Are you planning on paying for this?

El DJ

I don't really have a particular brand in mind, I've hear great things about most brands of cameras. No, I was planning on asking my mom for it as a birthday present (my birthday's next month). She said she could do $300, I don't know about $400. If I found a reasonably better camera for $400 than one for $300, I think she'd get it instead.

Laquer Head

Is the Pentax K110D a nice camera?

I'm a hardcore Canon SLR shooter..but

for your price range I recommend a Pentax x70!

It's a slick point and shoot with excellent 24x zoom, 12mp, 100-6400iso, 720 video, 2.7" lcd and a host of advanced features--it should be around the price you mentioned!!

Last edited:

El DJ

Thanks for trying.
I'm seriously thinking about the K110D. It looks like a very nice camera.

aviation_man

Have you looked into the Nikon D40x and D60's on Newegg? Those are in the 350-450 price range. I'm thinking about getting the D40x myself.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I can safely suggest the Pentax K100D Super. I bought one not too long ago and it was worked wonders! I got it for like $300 plus a $60 lens so $360 total, from Amazon.com

Here are some sample shots from mine:

3869240372_ee615b738f.jpg

3888033491_7ab6a528e8.jpg

3894878970_ba6253c7bc.jpg

3942912490_13e6c7f772.jpg

Last edited:

elitejp

Once you start looking at dslr's the prices begin to skyrocket. One of the main benefits of dslr over a p&s is its ability to blur the background and change lenses.

Any decent dslr should beat a high end p&s in creating a cleaner picture at high iso. If you only plan on shooting in good bright sushine at iso 100 then every camera will look the same (generally speaking). But when you start taking pictures indoors even during the daytime you will need to up the iso and that brings noise. The more expensive cameras will handle the noise better than the cheaper cameras. Unfortunately i am more familiar with dslr's than p&s and it will be very difficult to get a dslr in the 300 dollar range, and then you still need to buy a lense and a nemory card.

I would also throw a used canon g9 into the compare list.

Last edited:

El DJ

I can safely suggest the Pentax K100D Super. I bought one not too long ago and it was worked wonders! I got it for like $300 plus a $60 lens so $360 total, from Amazon.com

Here are some sample shots from mine:

-snip-

Is the only difference between the K100D and the K110D the image stability? Those are some REALLY nice pictures.

Elitejp: a little bit outta my price range. :[

realmike15

I want a camera, my first good camera, and I'm going to get my mom to get it for me for my birthday next month. I don't really know where to begin, but if anyone can recommend a camera for me for under $300, I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

if you really plan on getting into more then just point and shot, a DSLR is well worth the investment. i have the canon rebel xs, which is a very nice low end DSLR. canon generally has a more detailed image than any of the other makers. when you start to get into photography, you want to set your f/stops, shutter, iso, focusing and everything else manually. doing this on anything other than a a true DSLR is usually a pain in the butt. some of the hybrids are not bad but i doubt you'll get anything for $300, at least not a new one. my friend has a $400 hybrid style that is fairly nice... but his manual focus is annoying to deal with.

if you can, i would ask for a gift card to amazon, and save up for the rest yourself. on the other hand, if your really not sure whether you're going to get into this... maybe you should stick with a point and shoot style. good luck in your search.

El DJ

I'm doing photography for my senior project, and I love it. I am very interested in it, that's why I'm willing to dish out so much money for a camera (If I can't get it for my birthday). I'll look at some more Canon's. They are really nice.