Recommendations for a new GPU?

Schonza

Hey guys,
Looking for graphics card recommendations to run with my current system as my card is on it's way out.
Not looking to spend a huge amount of money, but want to have something that would be comparable to my card now.

Current Build:
Intel i5-3570k @ stock speed
Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H TH
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24) Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7970 @ stock speeds
Thermaltake litepower 650w Bronze 80+
Samsung 840 series 240 gb ss
500 gb + 1tb seagate 7200 sata
3tb western digital caviar 7200 sata
Currently running Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks in advance.

beers

Staff member
Not looking to spend a huge amount of money
What's your definition of a huge amount of money?

A near replacement of your current card would be a 280x which is essentially a rebranded 7970 GHz edition.

Schonza

I'm in Australia, but I guess something around the $300-350 mark would be preferable. I was thinking maybe something in the gtx 960 series?

Also, for about an extra $100, I could get a gtx 970, would it be a better card to put into my system over a 280x/960, or would the rest of my system bottleneck it?

Last edited:

AdmnPower

VIP Member
If you can hold off for a little bit longer, it might not be a bad idea to wait if you're going to look at doing an Nvidia card. Their 9 series cards have been out for quite a while now and I think they're planning on releasing the next series this year.

You might be able to pick up a card with a Pascal architecture for the same money you'd spend on a Maxwell based card if you wait until later this year. Pascal is supposed to see a fair bump in performance over Maxwell.

Laquer Head

I would recommend to hold off, new offerings from AMD and Nvidia are coming Q2 or Q3 this year! Unless the card completely dies, highly recommend waiting.

Schonza

I guess I'll have to live with my onboard graphics for a little bit then. At the very least the new cards could push the gtx 970 into my budget.

spirit

Staff member
A GTX 970 would be absolutely fine in your system.

What's wrong with your 7970? Does 'going out' mean it's failing or it's no longer performing?

JLuchinski

I wonder if the prices for the newer cards will be around the same? I was going to save up for a 970/980 but if newer ones are coming out then that's what I would be saving for. OP, if you already have a 7970 I would wait, sell the 7970 and get a newer card.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
I wonder if the prices for the newer cards will be around the same? I was going to save up for a 970/980 but if newer ones are coming out then that's what I would be saving for. .

From my experience, the flagship card of a series normally runs about $500 - 600 after it's been out for a little bit. I've gotten a couple of high end cards over the years and have typically spent about $500 on each of them. Not sure about the Titan though, I'd guess when that first comes out it'll be a little more.

JLuchinski

Yeah I'm hoping it drives the price down for the 970 a bit, I'm building a system that will be able to run Doom at good frame rates when it comes out, I would just get it for Xbox but it's so much better with a keyboard and mouse.