Recommendations for cable wifi router/ modem for Time Warner?

For Oceanic Time Warner 300 mbps cable. I am looking for a modem/ router combo as separate devices seem to be less reliable and more complicated. One device is better IMO.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think everyone here would disagree with you on that assumption including me. Not sure how much help you'll get. I can't recommend a combo unit, always separate units.

beers

Staff member
One device is better IMO.
Negative.

Combo units skimp one way or the other to integrate all of the functionality into one unit and generally do no function particularly well. Dedicated units are often higher quality, as well as limiting a failure domain if one subcomponent offs itself.

300 mbit isn't too outlandish, a SB6183 or something would work. There were a lot of issues surrounding the SB6190, TWC seems to have a reasonable firmware for that but most of the puma6 modems are better off avoided.

Router wise I'd roll with the edgerouter and unifi AP combo every time, but it's generally more expensive than other all in ones. What kind of budget did you have in mind?

Geoff

VIP Member
For Oceanic Time Warner 300 mbps cable. I am looking for a modem/ router combo as separate devices seem to be less reliable and more complicated. One device is better IMO.
That is incorrect, combo units have less features, worse reliability, worse performance, and less range for the WiFi than if you bought a quality modem and wireless router separately.

What do you think about the Arris Surfboard SBG6900AC?

My wife really wants to minimize the amount of IT stuff laying around, wires, plugs, ect so I prefer the combo units. When I say one device is better, that's what I mean--more simple, less equipment. I live in a small apartment, so range is not a concern. The only gaming that is done on the network is done on a desktop that is connected via Ethernet, otherwise wifi devices are just phones, a laptop, printer and 1080p TV.

beers

Staff member
I think the SBG6900AC is Broadcom based, so it should be alright as far as all in ones go.