Recommendations for more performance from a 5870 HD

lowbeta

Hey everyone, I'm new the forums and also new to the world of decent graphics performace :p

I was hoping to get some advice from some of the more seasoned members here regarding the performance of my current system. I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 (please try not to judge me lol). The configuration runs an i7 930, 12gb of ram and of course the Radeon 5870 HD.

I have attached a screenshot of my 3dmark06 score, which was 18,558 along with some info on my system in the same shot. Am I wrong to think that the score seems fairly conservative? I am not sure if the benchmark is just poorly suited to the evaluation of the card or whether the card is not performing well.

Cheers!

Edit: Sorry about the picture fail, the image is 256k and wouldn't upload direct to the site. It also appears photobucket is down at the moment.

I am running driver version 8.821.0.0 (catalyst 11.2) / win7 64

Last edited:

Spesh

That score seems about right to me. 3DMark06 is an outdated bench, so scores with newer cards should be taken with a pinch of salt. Compared to Vantage and 11, the 06 version of 3DMark puts a lot more emphasis on CPU power, so if you're running at stock clock (2.66Ghz?) then that will affect it.

I really wouldn't worry about it though. So long as you can play your games fine, then that's all that matters. These benchmark tools are more useful for checking system stability, as they will stress the rig a lot more than a game would do.

lowbeta

Thanks Spesh, appreciate the reply. The processor is indeed running at the stock clock, 2.8ghz.

I am installing Battlefield Bad Company 2 as we speak, it's been a few years since I have played any games, this should be fun :)

Spesh

Thanks Spesh, appreciate the reply. The processor is indeed running at the stock clock, 2.8ghz.

I am installing Battlefield Bad Company 2 as we speak, it's been a few years since I have played any games, this should be fun :)

No worries. BFBC2 is actually one of the more CPU intensive games. So if your motherboard supports overclocking, then you might want to give it a go. But don't forget, you will need an aftermarket cooler.

lowbeta

CPUID1.jpg

Capture.jpg

Played BC2 for a while and man, the graphics are fantastic (the last time I played anything was old school bf2 on a laptop). I am not too worried about the benchmarks anymore, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the temperature readings using CPUID Hardware Monitor? I am a little confused about the Radeon 5870 readings.. why are there two readings? I would have expected one reading, for the core. Should I just be looking at the higher of the two?

Cheers!

mihir

VIP Member
What is the load on the CPU during this screenshot of 40C CPUid HWmonitor?

If its Idle then what is your ambient temperature and if its under load then the temperature is pretty good.
And if it is idle post the pictures of the CPU stressed 100% using prime 95,with temps.

lowbeta

What is the load on the CPU during this screenshot of 40C CPUid HWmonitor?

If its Idle then what is your ambient temperature and if its under load then the temperature is pretty good.
And if it is idle post the pictures of the CPU stressed 100% using prime 95,with temps.

Capture2.jpg

Ambient temp is about 25C, max temp was reached after about an hour of Bad Company 2. The recent sreen shot above was taken about 10 minutes after I finished gaming.

mihir

VIP Member
Battlefield won't stress the CPU too 100%.

Run prime95 that will stress the CPU 100% and then post the temps.

lowbeta

Battlefield won't stress the CPU too 100%.

Run prime95 that will stress the CPU 100% and then post the temps.

I don't have prime95 bud and I am actually not worried about the cpu, as I will never be leaning on it harder than I am in BC2. The GPU is where I would be imposing the stress, hence my original question.

Cheers

lowbeta

The GPU temps are fine.Use Furmark for GPU stressing and then post the TEMPS.You can download Furmark from here
http://www.geeks3d.com/20110224/furmark-1-9-0-gpu-stress-test-burner-opengl-benchmark/

ANd then post the full load temps.
Since you posted it after 10minutes the GPU cools down really quickly,so those cannot be trusted for load temps calculation.

The monitor was running during the hour of gaming, so the max temp reached should still be a fairly good indicator I would think.. does anyone know why there are two temps for GPU instead of one only for gpu core?

Your cpu clocks will have a profound effect on how well the gpu scales.

I am coming to the same realization lol, unfortunately with Dell I understand the mobo bios to be locked, so no overclocking for me. Seems to run the games well though, no complaints.

Cheers