Recommended PC Games for Budding Gamer

Darren

Staff member
Hello all. I just recently finished building my new gaming computer. (see sig)

I've been playing computer games for a while but my old computer was so terrible that the newest game I've ever played is TF2, and just barely able to run it.

My question is what are some good games to play? I've got a few constraints to worry about though.

1. Has to be T or possibly M if it doesn't have the word "sexual" in the ESRB notice. Obviously this eliminates a lot of games. Grr... Parents....

2. I like RPG's, Strategy, Simulation, and Racing mainly. Is there a genre name for Minecraft/Terraria games yet? If so that would be included.

I already have Shogun 2 since it came with my video card, but otherwise I don't know what to get. Any suggestions would be great. :)

I'm thinking of getting Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 since BLOPS apparently has PC issues and I like the Modern setting better. Not to mention it's cheaper.

Thanks in advance!

1337dingo

how does that pc "barely" run tf2 should run it smoothly, my laptop can run tf2 and its no ware near as good as that

salvage-this

how does that pc "barely" run tf2 should run it smoothly, my laptop can run tf2 and its no ware near as good as that

I think he meant that his old computer was too slow for TF2, not his new one

@Denther

MW2 is pretty dead. I would wait for BF3 and MW3 to come out. If you want to pick up something now I have heard that MW4 MW is still being played a lot more than the others.

I enjoyed the Bioshock series a lot. You can get it pretty cheap Off Ebay. It is Rated M but it is for violence, not anything sexual.

For racing I like the Dirt1/2/3 and Grid. I hear that F1 2011 is really good if you are into that kind of racing. Codemasters really makes good games

Darren

Staff member
Thanks salvage! I'll look into those. I may just stick with TF2 once I get it downloaded, I have been enjoying it, and I will more so on this computer. I may pick up MW3 or BC3 as you suggested.

Yes that was in referral to my old computer, an old Pentium 4 with a Geforce 8400 GS video card.

Darren

Staff member
I'll look into those as well. I've heard they're good. Go with the second I assume? I heard that 2 wasn't liked as much basically because it was very similar to the first. If I only get one of them should I get the second?

Thanks!

salvage-this

Yeah go for Left4Dead 2. the game is pretty much the same as the first with a few extras. Also, you can add on some of the levels from the first game.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks!

Which Dirt game do you recommend? I'm into more arcade style racing than simulation. My favorite racing game I have ever played is Need for Speed Most Wanted.

salvage-this

I just beat Dirt 2 and It was amazing. It is definitely on the arcade side of things but still far from Mario Kart :p I would pick up Dirt 2 if it is cheap (20-30 maybe?). If not then Got for Dirt 3. I have not played it yet but it is on my to buy list.

Do you have a controller or racing wheel?

Darren

Staff member
Nope. Probably might be a decent investment but since I just built my computer I'm currently broke. I also don't really have space for it... I have used one before though and liked it.

salvage-this

I play all my racing games with the 360 controller for windows. Dirt is way too hard for me with the keyboard. Being able to half throttle made all the difference for me.

Troncoso

VIP Member
If you pre buy MW3 you get a free copy of COD4. If you want an awesome online shooter, it's the one. Playing on PC is way more fun cause you have modded maps, crazy stuff like 25 player free for all.

CyrustheVirus

There's some other F2P games out there that could keep you busy till November when Battlefield 3, and MW3 come out..

I personally like Project Blackout, it's not too demanding for a computer, and its got more of an Arcade feel than alot of other shooters out there.

Aliance of Valiant arms is another good free to play one as well, but it's more computer demanding, and also more realistic than Project Blackout.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is still a ton of fun, with plenty of servers still played on. I got the game recently at Walmart for $20.

For RPG's, there's always Borderlands. Very addicting game... played a ton of it on the Xbox360. It's much more action, than RPG though. If you're looking for a more straight up RPG, I'm about to try out "Global Agenda." It looks a lot like Mass Effect, and it's free to download, and play.

I'll post a reply after I've played it a little.