Recoverd from a serious error

JrDave2324

heres an example of it freezing. i had just minimized AIM to the tray, i had winamp playing, had a web page up, and then i closed the folder where the files i was playin in winamp were and then the computer froze..

extraction

Since your computer is not x86 architecture, I'm assuming memtest86 cannot be used - am I wrong on this?? Nonetheless, Microsoft has a free download to check your RAM from a bootable floppy or CD. I d/l this last night and had done a full RAM scan within 15 min from a floppy. My RAM turned out to be OK, maybe this will lead you somewhere though...

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
WinXP Home
Gigabyte 7ADX
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Kingston 512 MB PC 2100 DDR
Currently Hard Reseting for No Reason, Planning Voltage Checks Later

Last edited:

JrDave2324

hey extraction thanks for that test. its gotta be something with my RAM, cuz it passes the first test, fails the second and third, and then freezes during the fourth. so what does this mean? and what should i do?

thanks again for everyones help!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
So your memory is fried...
I had once a memory module that passed every tests except the last one. And it caused me big troubles...
So it's time to change your memory modules. Unless is something wrong with your mobo...

extraction

That program should let you isolate which stick is giving you the trouble (assuming you have 2 x 512 MB)...the link I gave you has the user's guide...or you could just test each stick individually in the #1 DIMM socket on your Motherboard...

JrDave2324

yeah but this memory is less than two months old so how can it be fried?

and the problem is, i cant even get to the end of the test for it to tell me which stick is causing the problems....so i guess ill test em seperately and go from there

JrDave2324

ok so i tested each stick in the first slot, and they both passed the test 8 times without a single error.

so ill test 'em together again and see what happens

EDIT: ok so i tested them together and the test froze again. i then switched the RAM that was in slot 2 to slot 3 and it still failed. so that means theres somethin wrong with the RAM slots on my mobo correct? or is it somethin else

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I had a similar problem with a Matsonic mobo (btw: don't you ever buy Matsonic) which caused memory read/write problems if the memory amount was more than 512 MB. After a mobo-upgrade everything runs fine.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yeah but this memory is less than two months old so how can it be fried?
Age doesnt mean anything.

i cant even get to the end of the test for it to tell me which stick is causing the problems...
Sounds like a problem in and of itself ... try disabling the Dual Channel.

JrDave2324

can i do that in the bios or what?

with disabling that would i still be able to use the two sticks??

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah you can probably disable dual channel in BIOS... wait... what am i smoking.... just pop the 2 sticks of RAM into different, non-DC slots and its automatically disabled.

JrDave2324

ok well, ill prolly buy a different kind of non-dual channel memory and see how that works out. can someone reccomend some good 184-pin DDR (non-dual channel) RAM, right around the same performance level as my current RAM

or if theres a way i can make it work with my current memory thatd be good too!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
non-dual channel slots? I only have three slots to begin with, so how does that work?
Depending on which slots you put ur memory into you can (dis)enable your Dual channel mode.

can someone reccomend some good 184-pin DDR (non-dual channel) RAM,
"Dual channel" memory is the same as "normal" memory. "Dual channel" is just a marketing gimmick for "matched" pairs (actually sometimes they arent even matched). Pretty much any brandname memory should be good to go :)

JrDave2324

ok so i got an e-mail back from Gigabyte and they said because Geil isnt name brand they cant guarentee compatability.....so i think im gonna sell the two sticks of Geil. Now the e-mail said that Kingston and Crucial have the best compatability with my mobo. so would you go with 2 of these Crucial or this Kingston package

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the Kingston's but realistically it doesnt matter much ... jkust go with the cheaper route :)

dcmcgrain

Similar Issue

I got the same error regarding "ServicePackFiles/i386/conrtols.man" being replaced by an unrecognized version... it occured when I was running Windows Update with the XP Update KB900725.

My comp was having major issues. I did a lot to try to fix it. No luck. I eventually uninstalled SP2, reinstalled Windows XP, and deleted a ton of old/unnecessary data and problems.

When I first ran Windows Update I got this error message. It seems to have had little affect on the computer - I think, it hasn't been long enough to tell, really.

I'm just confused as to what this could mean??? Could it be an issue???

And I'm guessing the work I was doing counts as "Major HD activity"

--
Dell Dimension 4600
Intel Pent4 2.8GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Home, SP1
purchased in Summer 03.