Recovery process keeps stalling

daniel_cantrell

I have a Compaq Presario SR1750NX that I am trying to do a recovery on and I have to use the disc because the recovery partition has been deleted. The problem I am having is it keeps stalling during the recovery process it usually stalls in the same place but not always. Another thing is when it stalls I have to cut the power off to restart it and sometimes the mouse will work but most of the time it does not. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I should do?

PC eye

banned
You're first problem from the start is the loss of the recovery partition since that works hand in hand with the branded recovery disks provided with any prebuild system. In order to see the system run again with the same recovery disk usable you would have to bring the system in a factory recognised shop where they recreate a new recover partition there.

Your other option would be to buy a full install version of Windows for seeing a totally clean install and download all necessary drivers and softwares from HP. Another means of seeing the recovery partition restored can sometimes be seen by working directly with tech support depending on where you are located. You are in a slight dilemna however.

daniel_cantrell

So what happens if I ever need a new HD for this computer? It won't have the partition either...What do I do then?...Can I borrow a full install Cd from someone to put it on clean and use the Key I already have?

PC eye

banned
If you end up replacing the primary drive assuming at some point you add an extra for storage your best move would be to simply buy your own full install copy of the intended version of Windows. The disk would always be right there in case of any need to reinstall or repair an installation plus registared to you no one else.

The product or serial numbers there are for that specific machine only with an OEM not retail type disk. To see Windows installed on a new drive a HP authorized dealer can pre OS that for you with the present disk and key or you can buy a full install version and later download the necessary drivers from the support site.

The main problem there is that the branded disks are often reliant on the remaining information and files stored on the hidden recovery partition now lost. This is how they tie each disk to one machine while a full install retail or even OEM disk sold separately will see all Windows setup files intact.

chriskmee

I have had problems with my hp recovery disk, mine would install vista, then turn off and boot into recovery manager, which then told me to start over..... 6 times!!

The hp recovery disks are glitchy, so what i did was get a freind to burn me a vista retail install cd (a vista install cd has all versions on it, the key determins what is installed, i think 32 and 64 bit are differnt disks though) I installed it using the key on the back of my laptop, did a 5 minute call to activate (really easy, all you do is say a bunch of numbers and type a bunch of numbers) and its working great