Redoing my home network.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Just run an ethernet cable between the two :p
If it was that easy... I wouldn't have to make a thread on it. :(

What about those AC routers with those quad band stuff (3 5ghz bands, 1 2.4ghz band)? If everyone is either on Ethernet, or through the 5ghz bands, how would that work.

What are my options outside of those "consumer" wireless connectivity?

Priority wise, I want to maximize my PC's network speed to the main modem/router which is where my NAS is connected. Direct Ethernet cable from my PC to the modem is not an option. I still would like to provide wireless options for my other devices around the house (Does not need to have maximum performance in this area).

tl;dr, I would like the fastest connection for my PC to my modem wirelessly. Other devices can take a back seat.

Geoff

VIP Member
Then move your wireless router and modem more centrally in your house, and get a decent 802.11ac wireless card for your desktop with an external antenna. If its a small to medium size house, it should be no problem getting a quality 5GHz signal up a single floor.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well, I ended up grabbing the Asus RT-AC88U and the PCE-AC88 for my main computer. Getting 1.6gbps connection to the router wirelessly. Sweet jesus.

Wireless range/signal around the house pretty much doubled. In previous areas where my wireless N router was having trouble reaching, the AC88U is getting there without any troubles.

I'm getting about 105 mb/s transfer rates to my NAS right now, which is around the maximum my NAS can handle. Did a comparison with a computer directly connected to the router and it's basically giving me the same transfer speeds.

EDIT: Scratch that, enabled MU-MIMO and is getting 115mb/s transfer to the NAS. jesus.

Last edited: