Reformatted & Reinstalled, now no USB

WestC07

I had been having terrible trouble with my laptop slowing down to a crawl so I finally decided to reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS (WinXP MCE 2005). Right after the fresh install and when everything was working well the USB port was working fine. I plugged in the USB receiver for my wireless mouse, it detected it, and I was able to use it.

I went through and installed more drivers and such and now I cannot get the USB drives to detect anything. They do work, as they will power my laptop cooling pad, but they just won't detect anything (Thumb Drive, Mouse, etc.).

What has me stumped is that the media card reader works perfectly. And the USB drives worked when the OS was fresh, but not after I installed the drivers.

I have installed what drivers I could find from the Intel website, but it did not fix the problem, and everything is up to date.

I'm attaching a picture of my device manager. I thought that might help?

Thanks in advance, I can't keep using this touch pad forever.

Device.jpg

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Is the laptop the one in your Sig? if so, have you gone to Dell's website and entered your Service Tag to get a Driver list? If you're unsure which one you need, feel free to PM me your tag and maybe I can pinpoint the right one for you.

WestC07

Yeah it is. I've looked, and thought I downloaded the correct drivers. I actually downloaded the chipset drivers from the Drivers and Utilities disk that came with the computer and I think that might be where I went wrong.

WestC07

Well I managed to get it working.

Just an FYI for anyone that may have a future problem. All that was required was to right click on each USB Root Hub item in Device Manager and uninstall. After uninstalling, the computer will recognize the hubs and as long as the chipset drivers have been installed, the USB ports should work.