WIndows 10 Reformatting ex corporate machine

boneheadicl

I was made redundant from my previous employer last month and because of covid they gave me an all in one PC to work from home.

When I was made redundant they told me to keep the machine,(so nothing dodgy) how easy is it reformat the system for personal use without any of the admin passwords?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Just download Windows 10 to a flashdrive and boot to it. Choose to format the disk and boom.

DavidG

Assuming you have windows 10 on the AIO, on a working computer with internet access download windows 10 media creation tool from here and run it
Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool website
You will need a blank 8GB USB to create a bootable windows 10 USB installer. Choose the same windows 10 version as you have on the machine or you will need a new licence key. Once done insert the USB into the AIO computer and boot off the USB, choose the install option then follow the prompts.

Assuming you have windows 10 on the AIO, on a working computer with internet access download windows 10 media creation tool from here and run it
Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool website
You will need a blank 8GB USB to create a bootable windows 10 USB installer. Choose the same windows 10 version as you have on the machine or you will need a new licence key. Once done insert the USB into the AIO computer and boot off the USB, choose the install option then follow the prompts.
NOTE! This will only work if the employer has not encrypted the hardrive. If so the TPM-chip will prevent any attempts to reformat the drive!
Those who do encrypt the hardrive usually often sets a BIOS password that they seldom reveal...
So in these cases it might be best to connect the employer to arrange a meeting where a these protections are removed...