Reformatting hardrive...

tommy8748

Hey, my computer won't boot up and I need to get a new version of windows. The problem is that I have two hard drives full of data (don't need to get backed-up). Does windows automatically reformat both hard drives when I install a fresh version of windows media edition or is there another way to reformat?

Trizoy

VIP Member
A reformat is a delete of all data, then a new OS is placed on the HD. Atleast one of the drives will be deleted. (2 if you screw up)

PC eye

banned
Before wiping a drive full of data you can also try a few other methods. To save the current installation at least for XP Pro and Home versions alike you can use an old 98 startup floppy(or burn a cd with those files to boot from) to enter the "fdisk /mbr" command once you reach the dos prompt. This basically repairs/rewrites a new master boot record. You could see if that would work on that version. So far I haven't found a direct reference however.

Deletion of the current installation with the installer should give you the option to install on the same partition rather then deleting it. But if you want a fully clean install already having files stored on a second drive you would need to have the installer delete the present on then create and format the new one for the fresh install there. To reformat the second drive you would do that at another time there by the disk manager if available in that edition or a number of other ways.
"Perform a Repair Installation
Published: August 1, 2002

Submitted by Doug Knox, Windows XP MVP, Tewksbury, Massachusetts
For more tips by Doug, visit Doug's Windows Tweaks and Tips
Find more on the Expert Zone from Doug Knox.

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup."
Applies to XP Home - Pro - Media edition http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

DiViDe

You should be able to select which HD you want to reformat at the beginning of the setup. I have reformated my WinXP Home Ed so many times i lost count.

PC eye

banned
The only time any goof would be seen is if you chose the wrong drive by choosing the incorrect detected partition on the second drive. But even the XP installer will indicate that as a secondary not primary drive. If you have XP running on the Second drive as well you can delete the primary's partition through the Disk Manager under Administrative Tools\Computer Management in the Control Panel by booting the system with that drive. You would later swap cable and jumper positions to use that as a primary having the first now being a storage by creating a new partition there.