Reinstalling Systemworks

Pretorius

When I originally set up my new computer in April, I foolishly went online without first putting in place any manner of antivirus software or firewall. As a result, I was - unsurprisingly - promptly infected with the sasser worm. That was so frustrating that I purchased Norton Systemworks 2003.

Unfortunately, half-way through the installation process, the sasser did its thing and shut down my computer. Norton hadn't finished installing, it had been in the middle of setting up the Antivirus and Ghost programs - neither of which would work when I rebooted.

I figured I'd just uninstall the screwed-up programs and then install them properly. But here's the problem: the sasser shut down my computer before Systemworks had had time to install its uninstallation tool.

So, I can't get rid of the useless versions of Antivirus and Ghost because I can't manually delete a lot of the files that comprise them, and I can't reinstall them because when I try, Systemworks tells me it detects new or current copies of those programs and will skip their installation.

This is really irritating me. My PC is totally unprotected and is host to what seems to be hundreds of unwelcome parasites. Help?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Norton is a pain for their antipiracy mesures (or so they call them) ... short of manually deleting everything then you're gonna have to reformat