Reinstalling Windows with no CD??

H_L

Hey guys,
I have a laptop that I've dusted off after a while and it's having major trouble booting. I'm fairly sure it's running Windows 10 and I wanted to pull out the hdd and copy some files then erase it and reinstall windows as from memory it was majorly clogged up probably from not having a firewall and antivirus :O haha.
These days you don't get an install CD so how do you do a fresh install?? I don't want to buy windows again as obviously I have it already.

Cheers

beers

Staff member
As above the media creation tool will write a bootable image to USB or DVD for installation, once it's written you should just be able to boot from it.

Please find a more detailed description of the process at: <spam removed>
You will find the headline: ON GENERAL REQUEST: HOW TO OBTAIN WINDOWS 10 (license required)
The license is already in your computer.. or linked to the Microsoft account you used to sign into the PC with!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pupp

I'm pretty sure Windows 10 hasn't been able to fit on a DVD in a long time. But, any repair shop should be able to put the installation on a flash drive for you, if you don't want to download it, or can't download it.

Pupp

True, but it's also true that Microsoft isn't invested in making DVD copies of Windows 10. I mean, someone will still have to download the newest version. In 2021, putting it on a DVD seems practically backward, since not too many people bother with CDs or DVDs anymore.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In 2021, putting it on a DVD seems practically backward, since not too many people bother with CDs or DVDs anymore.
All depends on the person. I still use DVD's to this day to run certain programs, especially on older systems. And sometimes its a pain to get a computer to boot to a usb.