remapping keyboard

StickBoy

On my old laptop I was able to map combination keys for non-keyboard characters. For instance, I could press CTRL+ALT+E to type é ... CTRL+ALT+SHIFT resulted in É. CTRL+SHIFT+4 became ¢ ... CTRL+SHIFT+6 was ° (degree symbol). Geddit?

I used Sharp Keys to remap certain keys that were causing me problems (for instance the left shift key was half the width and I kept hitting the oddball key they had stuck in beside it so I remapped that to shift as well).

Now I have a new laptop. I thought I had used Sharp Keys to create these shortcut combinations, but now when I try to use that, it tells me that it can't combine keystrokes.

I have been googling this for the past half hour and I keep seeing other remapping programs but none seem to be able to do this. The only one that came close was Autohotkey, but that appears to be a program that must be kept running in order to "catch" the keystrokes. I definitely was not using anything like that on my old laptop.

Either Sharp Keys used to do it and the newer version doesn't, or I had another program that did it and I just can't think of what it was. Do you know? Anyone have any ideas about this? It would have worked like Sharp Keys, in that it writes to the Registry but doesn't need to be running.

Help! I miss the ease of using those keys!