Remote Assistance help...

jbrdbr111x

I'm trying to connect to a friends PC to help him out with something, and after he sends me the RA file, I click and it says his name and says "attempting to connect to "his name"

Then I get the following error...
rajt6.png

What can I do, he's currently 2 states away so I can't just go over there and help him.. :(

ghost

That error message is not that helpful, it could be a number of things.

Ones to try is to get him to close his firewall software (if any is running). Then get him to add his PC into a DMZ if his router allows him to do that. Or you could find out what ports are used by the remote login software and get him to open them ports.

ghost

He doesn't have a router though
How is he connected to the internet?

Also another thing is to check if the user he is logged in as has admin privileges, if not get him to login as a admin.

ghost

do you know what exact make/model of this cable modem is? also what is the remote software called your trying to use. This info will help alot.

ghost

Try to find out m8, because it might need some settings changed in order for you to connect to him.

Also might be worth trying www.logmein.com that has been useful to me many of times.

tremmor

maybe some incompatibility issue. firewall down and no router. I would suggest making sure your using same server and client. try realvnc . they have a free edition. the free ver server works. use something like ie or firefox as client. If ya want to upload or download use the realvnc client. its free also.

jbrdbr111x

I tried realvnc, I didn't understand it.. The layout was confusing, so I un-installed it.. Anyone know a better preferably free remote program?

jbrdbr111x

Ok from what I see on Logmein free edition is I gotta download the software on the PC I want to access, so do I send that link to my friend, download and e-mail it to him, or what?

tremmor

here's some general guidelines. its the best i can do. im using realvnc enterprise. ive used them all but pretend your using realvnc free. ya just can't have all the authorities and passwords you said ya didnt have the router. if ya did you need the pass the ports. example of what i have would be virtual server vnc 5800,5900.
my ftp would be 21, 10,000,10010 (this would allow 10 clients) at one time.
take down the firewall. if the remote server is using the ports as mentioned above 5800,5900. you would email him your wan ip. goto whatismyip.com
maybe it would be 99.210.92.151. after starting up the remote software and opening the ports it would be for the client from ie or firefox 99.210.92.151:5800 (this is what you email)

this should give him access. if there was a password involved then he has need to know what it is.
i know its a learning curve. maybe everything your doing is right. just trying to clear the air. maybe your past this part and just getting errors i don't understand. let us know. thats all i got.

jbrdbr111x

Yeah I'm kinda lost when it comes to ports and internet connections & details, etc.. I for some reason never got around to learning that stuff.. :(

tremmor

You will, it was my learning curve. Now its yours. I jumped through hoops. you will too. think of it as another computer adventure. yee.he.
cheers........