Remote Desktop Connection

Buy-it PC

I have an interesting scenario, a customer is using an HP Office 6500 inkjet printer and uses RDC to connect to a file server and can access the data files, but not certain as to how to make the server while connected under RDC to print to her local HP 6500 printer.

Does anyone understand how to do this?

Do I need to tweak some functions in the RDC program? Or does a driver need to be installed on the server to support the printer that it will see it and communicate with the printer?

I'm open to any suggestions one might have.

Buyit PC

codeman0013

I have 2 suggestions..

1) Map a drive on her pc to that server so she can print from her pc..

2)Install the printer drivers and such on the server so you can access it that way..

Why is she remoting into a server for files? Cant she not just have a mapped drive?

apolycarpe

The option you need is on the Local Resources tab. You'll find the options by clicking on the Option button.

STEPS
When you launch the Remote Desktop Connection, click on Options>> button. Then click on Local Resources tab and check Printers in the Local Devices and Resources area.

Buy-it PC

I have 2 suggestions..

1) Map a drive on her pc to that server so she can print from her pc..

2)Install the printer drivers and such on the server so you can access it that way..

Why is she remoting into a server for files? Cant she not just have a mapped drive?
First off, she's off site. She lives about 45 minutes away from the server. So, it's imperative that she can print locally while being online over (via) the internet.

So, mapping the drive probably won't do her any good in this case.

Buy-it PC

The option you need is on the Local Resources tab. You'll find the options by clicking on the Option button.

STEPS
When you launch the Remote Desktop Connection, click on Options>> button. Then click on Local Resources tab and check Printers in the Local Devices and Resources area.
Hi Apolycarpe-

Have done that, but something is missing... even after selecting: "Local Devices Resources" area, once she's on the server, and opens her tenant program to enter data and she wants to print it... it's spooling from the server and not her computer where her printer is.

I think there's a step missing, or some direction of which the printer needs to be installed so that RDC can locate the actual printer and print to it while being online.