Remote Desktop Connection

batman810

I just setup a home network between 2 computers, and everything works fine. In the "My Network Places" folder I can see the other computer, and everythings working except for the remote desktop connection. When I open it up, and type in the other computer it says the the computer cant be found, and Im not sure why. Any help is appreciated. thanks

batman810

They can both see eachother, but they can only see the folders that I have shared over the network. Theyre both running XP Home.

dave597

VIP Member
if you can copy files to and from both computers then you should be able to use remote desktop software. Remote admin is a good prog. which i used to use for my old computers. However, i have never used microsofts rdc. maybe you could try disabling firewall and trying? maybe both computers have to be running rdc?

batman810

I have tried disabling the firewalls, but what I just noticed is that on the "family" computer, it recognizes my computer, but on my computer, I havent opened any folders to the network except for shared docs. I wonder if there is a certain folder I need to open to it. The family computer wont open up the shared docs folder though.

Yeti

VIP Member
A few things -
- did you enable the remote desktop (my computer->properties->remote->allow users to connect to this computer remotely)
- are you sure you typed the correct names (computer and user) into the remote desktop connection
- have you tried adding a password to the account and trying to remotely access the computer using that password

batman810

I just fixed the problem, now the family computer can get access to my computers folder, but I still cant get remote desktop to work, it is checked as an exception in the windows firewall options.

Yeti

VIP Member
Alright, just to make sure - you are going into Remote Desktop Connection from programs->accessories->remote desktop connection, and you are typing the name of the computer you are trying to connect to (system properties->computer name->computer description) and a username of an account on that system and clicking connect. I don't mean to sound condescending, just want to rule out the simple stuff.

Also, what exactly is the error its giving you?

batman810

I also get this message from time to time....I went through the troubleshootng and it didnt help...."The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

Yeti

VIP Member
Okay... I hope this is it - that error pops up if you type something in the domain name. Leave that blank (if you're not already) and only type the computer name where it says computer, and an account name where it says user name, also a password if that account is passworded. If it doesn't work it should give you an error that that computer can not be found on the network (still a bad thing, but its closer :))

batman810

I left the domain balnk, same message about the server name being invlaled. I get the longer error message that I just posted when I try to connect to the computer name, and not the description. Im not sure if that makes sense, but when I go to my computer, propeties, computer name..its like this....computer descritopn: my computer ... full computer name: jeff ... workgroup: MSHOME
the other computer looks like this... computer descripton: family comuter...full computer name: computinator...workgroup:MSHOME, maybe that will helpo?

Yeti

VIP Member
Okay, sorry, I wasn't entirely correct/clear before - you need to put the full comuter name (ie computinator :)) in the computer space, and an account on that computer (control panel -> user accounts) in the user name space. This account must have a password for it to work and the allow remote user access must be checked.

batman810

when I do that I get a long error message..."The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator." Ive tried troubleshooting it, and what troubleshooting calls the cause of this problem: 1.The remote computer might not be set up to accept remote connections, 2. The remote computer might already have the maximum number of remote connections it is set up to accept, 3. Network problems might be preventing the connection...I think #1 and 2 definately dont apply, but possibly #3. Solution "Try connecting to the remote computer at a later time. If you receive the same message, contact the server administrator." so, i dont know really lol

Yeti

VIP Member
Hmmm, thats weird. I just remotely connected with one of my other computers to make sure what I was telling you would work and it did. I know it gives that error if you have the computer right but the user name wrong. So I guess my only suggestion is to recheck that (and to emphasize - it is an account on the computer you're trying to connect to and it does need a password). Other than that I'm out of ideas :(. Maybe someone else can think of something.

fultz

Are you running Windows XP?

Im not sure if anybody before me mentioned this or if turning on remote desktop connection in the control panel has anything to do with this but you may want to try going to start>run> type in services.msc make sure "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager", "Remote Access Connection Manager", "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager", "Network Connections", "Network DDE", "Network DDE DSDM", and "Network Local Awareness", are all set to enabled or auto (If Auto you may want to change to enabled). Something else to try is to completely disable the firewall or close it long enough to see if that makes a difference, when using a firewall I once had to uninstall it before I could even use the port which I set to block for most and I set to open for some it still would not be allowing stuff to pass through when I set it to allow. You may want to check this on both systems you may also want to disable Internet Connection Firewall in the services.msc.

I don't know if it would help to get SP2 but maybe you could try that if all else fails (if you don't have it already, IF you have windows XP). Also, are you running the same OS on both systems? If not what OS's are you running?

Im not sure if any of this stuff will work since I've never been on or used a network before but it all seems like possible things to try since you are getting nowhere anyway, you can always reset them to default if it doesn't change or help anything. Let me know how it turns out, id be interested to hear.

Good luck!

batman810

Well thats what im doing, I always seem to hgave those kind of problems, where everything seems to be right, but it doesnt work anyway. oh well. Maybe its some settings or something. Thanks anyway, if I ever figure it out, ill definately post how

Systym

I have no idea what your settings are, but I know that sometimes when I am messing around on my network people will go to their services folder and disable a few services to stop remote connections. You may want to check those. See what services you have that are disabled, you man need to enable or manually start a few.