Remote desktop

claptonman

So, I know there is a way to access other computers through the internet if both computers allow it, correct? What if I could access my desktop through my laptop at work, and like, play some games using all the power of my desktop?

I have no idea if this will work or problems that prevent it. Go easy on me, this just came to me.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Remote desktop has a slow connection through the internet. You would get a lot of lag and poor performance. Try just doing simple things with a remote desktop client and you'll see what I mean.

Troncoso

VIP Member
There is no way you can hope to play a game through remote desktop. Not any time soon. You could though, install a game or 2 to USB and play them off of that. They'd have to be games that don't require registry access, like Warcraft 3.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There is no way you can hope to play a game through remote desktop. Not any time soon. You could though, install a game or 2 to USB and play them off of that. They'd have to be games that don't require registry access, like Warcraft 3.

Hero's Quest (Also known as Quest for Glory) is another good text-command game to have a look at.

strollin

You can use TightVNC for that. Install server on your desktop and client on your laptop.

Windows does have Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) but there are restrictions based on what version of Windows you are running. In Win 7 for instance, any version can act as a client but only Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise can act as host. So your desktop would need to be running one of those 3 versions while your laptop could run any version of Win 7.

adarsh

^ That would be great. You could also try LogMeIn (Hamachi) and set up a virtual private network.