Remote desktop

kirret

Hi.

I need to connect to a PC in another network in another part of country. The destination PC is behind a Linksys firewall. If I know their WAN IP address, how can I connect to that certain PC if there are several PC behind that firewall.
Lets say the WAN IP is 111.111.111.111 and internal IP is 192.168.2.5 What should the address be I need to type to my Remote desktop program? Do they need to dedicate a special port in the firewall I can use?

tlarkin

VIP Member
if running windows xp pro, you must open up port 3389 in your router for MS remote desktop. Then type in the wan ip of the system. It requires that you have an actual log in on the remote machine because it requires local authentication.

kirret

I tried that. Got the message "Client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. and so on...." My friend has tries the remote connection inside his network and it is working. Any other ideas?

tlarkin

VIP Member
make sure you are connecting this way

10.10.10.10:3389 via RD client (10s are for example purposes)

kirret

Well, I tried it at home now. I have opened port 3389 on my router/firewall, windows firewall and my McAfee firewall. And I still get the same message that client could not conect to the remote computer..... But everything is OK inside a network :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
maybe you are not using the proper wan IP? Also, try opening up port 3389 and 3390 I have seen RD need two ports open before, one for send and one for receive, its weird like that sometimes.

You could also create an SSH tunnel using free software like putty.exe. Just google putty