Remove Windows

Wekiva

I recently added an SSD M.2 drive to be used as my primary. It has the OS and a few intensive programs. I’m now using the original drive for the majority of programs and storage. My question is - Can I remove Windows from the old drive without screwing up all the other programs that reside there? Pretty sure the answer is no and the best bet is to format and reinstall programs.

Wekiva

Thank you. I kinda knew the answer but was hoping I was wrong so I could save time and avoid the headache and frustration.
Good advice for the future. That was the first time I had ever swapped a main drive.

Agent Smith

Can I remove Windows from the old drive without screwing up all the other programs that reside there?

I don't understand what you are saying here. You just got done saying Windows is on the m.2, but now you say Windows is on the old drive?

Wekiva

When I put the m.2 in, I used paragon to clone the original. Then made the m.2 the C drive. The m.2 is used for the OS and a couple of programs where I want maximum performance. The original drive is now used for the rest of my programs and storage. I wanted to make room on the old drive and was hoping I could delete Windows and still have the programs on that drive still function. I was pretty sure they wouldn’t, but figured I’d ask just in case.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So if you cloned the drive then everything on old drive is on the M2 correct? If so, do a quick format of old drive. But if you have programs on old drive that is not on M2 then most likely they won't work correctly.

Wekiva

When it was first cloned yes, but then I got rid of redundant programs. Left VR games and photo/video editing programs on m.2 , uninstalled the rest. On the old drive, uninstalled the ones I left on m.2 and left the rest. Any new programs have been installed on the old. The only similarity between the two now is both have Windows 10. Trying to decide which is worse with regards to the old drive - the wasted space taken up by Win10 or the headache of formatting and reinstalling everything. I started this project because I’m tired of having all these int/ext drives with redundant files and mixed file types. I’m setting it up so C is the m.2 with OS and a few select programs, the old will be all other programs. And then separate drives for photos/videos, documents, and music. Then properly backup.
Thank you for the suggestion.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can delete the windows folder off the old drive. For the old games to work on the old drive you would have to reinstall them but change the installation directory to the second drive.