Removing a Hard Disc

I have removed a Hard Disc from its case. I'm wondering if I'm doing something unethical. It requires some force in bending back the top cover-plate. Without harming the top cover-plate, is there an easier way to do this?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You mean you're removing the platters from the hard drive casing? There's just a few torque screws you remove and the top cover comes right off.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
The star shaped screws. That's what hold the hard drive cover on. You are disassembling a hard drive, correct?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Wherever you found that guide clearly has never actually taken a hard drive apart.

There's extra screws under the sticker. You need to feel around and just puncture or peel back the sticker to reveal them. Then the top plate will just come right off. Once the top is off you can unscrew the platters from the motor.

I see the stickers on the other side of the casing. I removed the silver sticker.
I don't see any way to remove the screw. It looks like it is fixed in there in order to not be removed(without star shaped notches). How do I get the screw out?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Take a picture of the drive you're disassembling. All the screws are removable. I don't understand the issue you are encountering.

Geoff

VIP Member
Why are you taking it apart? Unless you are in a sterile environment the hard drive will be unusable after it's open.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you taking it apart? Unless you are in a sterile environment the hard drive will be unusable after it's open.

This. Very stupid to open an HDD without being in a clean room. You will get dust on those platters and will ruin it.

I have a lot of old, used hard drives lying around. I don't intend to use them again. I haven't seen any way to dispose of them. Would anyone here have a legitimate use for them?
I took them apart yesterday out of curiosity.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They are pretty much useless once you have opened them up outside of a clean room. The only things usable would be the circuit boards possibly.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have a lot of old, used hard drives lying around. I don't intend to use them again. I haven't seen any way to dispose of them. Would anyone here have a legitimate use for them?
I took them apart yesterday out of curiosity.
The only thing useful out of them are the magnets, they are extremely powerful and useful for hanging stuff up on your door, lol

They are not all open to the air. The ones I haven't already disassembled are all there, simply alone, intact, not in a computer, waiting for me to disassemble them. Can I remove data on them, use them again? Don't you have to have the same MB they were attached to originally to be able to use them at all? I don't want to give them away to someone who is going to extract the data on them. There are passwords and other information on them. It could be harmful to me if the data ever got into the wrong hands.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Don't you have to have the same MB they were attached to originally to be able to use them at all?

Only if you want to use the same copy of Windows. Otherwise, all you need to do is format them and you can use them again,

Only if you want to use the same copy of Windows. Otherwise, all you need to do is format them and you can use them again,
I'm the person who wrote those instructions. I have corrected them using your advice and some of your vocabulary. You can edit them if you want. See attachment for revised Instructions.

Last edited: