Replacement of CPU, Mainboard and cooling system

Better keep the GPU and build a whole new desktop computer?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Parleoth

Dear community

I seek buyer advice/experience for a new CPU, Mainboard and cooling unit.

After purchasing a new GTX 1080 GPU, I now have my 6 y/o CPU which is the bottleneck. It gets super hot (90+°C) when gaming even tho I don't reach more than 80 FPS or so. When I run the CPU on overclock, temperatures get so high, that it downgrades the clock time automatically... 4.3 GHz would run smoothly if the temperatures weren't that high. My setup so far is the following:

• CPU:
    1x Intel Core i7 2700K BOX, 4C/8T (LGA 1155, 3.50GHz, Unlocked) (6+ years old)
  • Mainboard:
    1x ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 (LGA 1155, Intel Z68, ATX (6+ years old)
  • Cooling
    Corsair H70 watercooler (6+ years old)
  • RAM:
    4x Corsair Vengeance (4GB, DDR3-1600, DIMM 240)
  • GPU:
    1x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
  • Storage:
    2x Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD (one for OS and programs and the other one for games)
    1x WD 3TB 3.5" HD (only storage)
  • Powersupply:
    1x Corsair power supply unit AX750 Gold (750W) (6+ years old)
  • Display:
    1x ASUS MG279Q (27", 2560 x 1440 Pixels) conntected via Mini-Displayport and used as a main screen
    1x BenQ RL2450HZ only used as a 2nd screen. No gaming on it. connected via DVI
When I want to change to a new CPU, I also have to change the mainboard since new CPUs don't fit in the LGA 1155 socket. I will also replace the water cooling for sth like a Corsair H100 or so. Maybe I also have to consider new RAM? It would be nice to find sth for <1000$. Maybe AMD could be an option too since I heard that their CPU sockets are mostly downwards compatible which is nice?

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, comments and experiences :)

OmniDyne

When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste between the processor and the cooler?

The water cooler may be failing.

Are you wanting to upgrade, or are you trying to hang on to this system for a bit longer? You may need to replace the power supply when you upgrade, as well.

Parleoth

When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste between the processor and the cooler?

The water cooler may be failing.

Are you wanting to upgrade, or are you trying to hang on to this system for a bit longer? You may need to replace the power supply when you upgrade, as well.

I replaced the thermal paste just a few months ago. I did it twice to be sure I applied it correctly. I also think the water cooler is at the end of its life. The power supply works fine so far. I doubt that I will need more than 750W for my new components?