Replacing board in Gateway Essential

Chris Chan

Yes, my grandfathers gateway essential has fallen victim to the capacitor plague, so I need to replace the mobo. I was thinking about getting a cheap mini-itx C3 board because that doesnt produce much heat. (it only takes Flex-atx at maximum, and it's a case with crappy airflow) But how are those boards with regards to driver support in Winblows ME? Buying a new Windows version is out of the question, as is Linux (needs AOL and WIndows software) Is my idea good, or just really 'out there' and never ggoing to work?

Chris Chan

Can I build a good, maintenance-free SFF for $400 including XP? (I'm *not* giving him Vista - it sucks big time.)

PohTayToez

I don't know that any computer is 100% maintenance free, but for $400 you can get him something that will blow his mind compared to that old Gateway.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
He won't need Vista, but it isn't as bad as ppl make it sound. Here's what I compiled, check it out.

Perhaps it's way too early, but I see dual channel RAM and a micro ATX power supply for a mid-tower that comes with a PSU...

If I were you, I'd get an Athlon based system.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Looks OK. The Hipro PSU included with the case is at least as good as the third party Logisys you've listed, though. May as well save some money and stick with the Hipro.

May want to go with 1x512MB as well, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141474. Not only is it cheaper, but it will also allow for more upgrade headroom since that board has only 2 RAM slots. The lack of Dual Channel with the single stick wouldn't really be a problem for a system like that.

If you need to fit a copy of Windows XP into that budget, you may even want to downgrade to a Celeron or Sempron CPU.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

You would be losing a LOT of power there, and you would have to get some sort of converter to use the 2.5" HDD...