Replacing CD\DVD drive with SSD mounted on caddy

shepsan

Hopefully, this is the correct section for this thread.

I have a new Acer Aspire®XC AXC780UR12 desktop computer. It is quite small and lacks a bay to install an SSD.

As a consequence, I contacted Acer Support and asked if I could replace the installed CD/DVD drive with a caddy mounted with an SSD. After thirty-two minutes of painful conversation with a person from India, I failed to obtain an answer. It was not because that person was discourteous or unwilling to help, it was even though we spoke the same language, we simply could not communicate.

Next, I Google searched the internet. This also failed to provide an answer to my question.

You are my next step. Can I replace theCD/DVD drive with a SSD mounted on a caddy?

If so, Please name and brand the caddy if you know of one.

Lastly, I have not found a tech manual providing step by step instructions for component replacements in the XC-780. Please direct me to one.

Thank you.

Laquer Head

You know what you should do, save the time, effort, and hassle.. get the SSD, grab the cables and 2 pieces of double-sided velcro..or zip ties and just attach the SSD to the inside of the chassis.

You're not going to be looking inside a pre-built and it's not like its going to be moved around, nor are there any moving parts in the SSD.

Just ghetto-rig it and you're back in operation in minutes...cheapest, easiest solution for ya.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you can find a caddy or not is a question, but otherwise, I don't see why not. It looks like a small form factor but otherwise standard machine.

if the door is mounted on the case and not the drive, then I'd think any 5.25" caddy will be fine. If the door is on the drive, then if you don't mind the front of the case open, the 5.25 caddy is still fine.

Laquer Head

Whether you can find a caddy or not is a question, but otherwise, I don't see why not. It looks like a small form factor but otherwise standard machine.

if the door is mounted on the case and not the drive, then I'd think any 5.25" caddy will be fine. If the door is on the drive, then if you don't mind the front of the case open, the 5.25 caddy is still fine.

UGHH.. that'll look awful though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You know what you should do, save the time, effort, and hassle.. get the SSD, grab the cables and 2 pieces of double-sided velcro..or zip ties and just attach the SSD to the inside of the chassis.

You're not going to be looking inside a pre-built and it's not like its going to be moved around, nor are there any moving parts in the SSD.

Just ghetto-rig it and you're back in operation in minutes...cheapest, easiest solution for ya.
Definitely agree in doing this instead.

beers

Staff member
Honestly even if there isn't a dedicated bay you can wedge it in some part of the case with either a spare screwhole or securing it by some other means (velcro, duct tape, or other ghetto rigging shenanigans). 2.5" SSDs don't really generate a lot of heat and can be placed pretty much anywhere.

Laquer Head

Honestly even if there isn't a dedicated bay you can wedge it in some part of the case with either a spare screwhole or securing it by some other means (velcro, duct tape, or other ghetto rigging shenanigans). 2.5" SSDs don't really generate a lot of heat and can be placed pretty much anywhere.

..not to mention barely any weight to them so its not like some akward, heavy components..they could be placed anywhere really.