replacing cpu...need help

fastforded

NEED HELP.....will PC be faster swapping 1.86GHz core2 duo to 3.0 GHz?

if i replace a cpu, its simply swap out old, install new, and restart? you dont have to do anything else?

if my pc is 1.8GHz, will i see difference switching to 3.0GHz cpu? i was thinking core2 duo, same as in my pc, yet go from 1.8 to 3.0 GHz to improve speed?

or a waste of money?????????? and look for new cpu?

and with fan, and without? whats better choice?

not sure, please make some suggestions if you can....

thanks

Last edited:

Trio

if i replace a cpu, its simply swap out old, install new, and restart? you dont have to do anything else?

if my pc is 1.8GHz, will i see difference switching to 3.0GHz cpu? i was thinking core2 duo, same as in my pc, yet go from 1.8 to 3.0 GHz to improve speed?

or a waste of money?????????? and look for new cpu?

and with fan, and without? whats better choice?

not sure, please make some suggestions if you can....

thanks
First you need to look up the PC's motherboard and see what CPU's are compatible. If the CPU you want to buy is compatible, then yea, you just swap out the old and replace it with the new and restart. First you need to remove the heatsink fan, and then lift the lever to release the CPU. You put in the new one and add thermal paste that should come with the CPU. Be sure to add a pea sized amount of thermal paste, and spread it around with a business card or something. When you're done, place the new heatsink fan on the CPU and secure it. Be sure to connect the fan on the heatsink.

fastforded

Post detailed motherboard specifications please and we can see what processors will work with your motherboard.

asus P5LP-LE

told to look at

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2558&sSpec=&OrdCode=

told these processors are supported:

Core 2 Duo E6x00 (Conroe core)
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core)
Pentium E2000 series (Conroe core, 1 MB cache)
Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill core)
Celeron (Conroe core)
Celeron D 3xx series (Cedar Mill core)

have a core2 1.86ghz.

thinking about

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U

which i was told is the biggest i could use on the motherboard.

do i need cpu, fan, and heatsink, or just the cpu?

thanks guys...theres so many choices....didnt know if i should stick with core2 duo...have warranty on pc...

thanks, looking for best bang for buck.:)

fastforded

Last edited:

fastforded

No...Liquid cooling would cost at a minimum ~$200... You mean the pipes? Those are heatpipes, they transfer heat more effectively than just aluminum or copper.

put that big thing in my pc?

what would a good liquid cooling system be?

this type with tubes better than oem fan configuration?

and will new cpu make pc faster, or no difference?

bomberboysk

put that big thing in my pc?

what would a good liquid cooling system be?

this type with tubes better than oem fan configuration?

and will new cpu make pc faster, or no difference?
-Yes

-Custom system, youd pay $70 for a cpu block, $15 or so for tubing, $60-70 for a pump, $20 or so for fans, $60 or so for a decent rad.

-Much better, temps at full load will probably be 15c or so lower at least.

-If its a faster cpu, yes. Personally i would save up some money to get a new cpu+mobo, like an amd phenom II tri or quadcore.

2048Megabytes

If your getting an aftermarket heatsink fan, the above one isnt a whole lot better than the stock intel. Something like this would be a decent aftermarket heatsink fan:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233014

The biggest complaint I've heard about the Intel heatsinks is lack of screws to secure them to the motherboard and so they can pop off. The heatsink I recommended has screws. Does the heatsink you recommended come with a brace to secure it to your computer case? Will the weight of that heatsink bend the motherboard eventually?

2048Megabytes

I have been looking around at the prices of Core 2 Duo E6xxx processors. Around $150 and that is a rip off compared to what you could get if you went with an AMD processor and motherboard. It is not worth it in my opinion.

For example: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 Motherboard and Phenom 8650 Tri-Core Processor price total is right around $158. The Phenom 8650 beats the Core 2 Duo 6850 in processing power.

jevery

....worth swapping chips? 1.86 to 3.0 GHz?
thanks

Benchmarks of 3D Studio Max 9, time/sec
6300 = 112
6850 = 69
38% Faster

3D Mark Vantage CPU
6300 = 3280
6850 = 5434
39% Faster

It would be a noticable difference. You have to decide if it’s worth it.

fastforded

I have been looking around at the prices of Core 2 Duo E6xxx processors. Around $150 and that is a rip off compared to what you could get if you went with an AMD processor and motherboard. It is not worth it in my opinion.

For example: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 Motherboard and Phenom 8650 Tri-Core Processor price total is right around $158. The Phenom 8650 beats the Core 2 Duo 6850 in processing power.

then i need to get vista....came on my machine:(

fastforded

Benchmarks of 3D Studio Max 9, time/sec
6300 = 112
6850 = 69
38% Faster

3D Mark Vantage CPU
6300 = 3280
6850 = 5434
39% Faster

It would be a noticable difference. You have to decide if it’s worth it.

confused on what the figures mean???

also, whats the 6300 and 6850? thanks

2048Megabytes

What the numbers mean, the bottom line is the Core 2 Duo 6850 processor is about 38 percent faster than your present processor.