Replacing HDMI ports!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I am assuming the physical port is damaged somehow? Keep in mind there's 19 pins and they are really close together. Chances are you are better off replacing whatever they are attached to, either the video card or the motherboard. It is doable, the part is fairly inexpensive but you need to find a local electronics repair shop that will do it. If you have to ship to them you are almost assuredly better off just replacing the whole board/video card.

I am assuming the physical port is damaged somehow? Keep in mind there's 19 pins and they are really close together. Chances are you are better off replacing whatever they are attached to, either the video card or the motherboard. It is doable, the part is fairly inexpensive but you need to find a local electronics repair shop that will do it. If you have to ship to them you are almost assuredly better off just replacing the whole board/video card.
Yeah the port itself on the tower is damaged.

Yeah been told I need a new graphics card. So they're not easy to install yourself?

When I plug my additional 2 monitors into the HDMI ports I get a something like no signal message comes up on my monitors.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When I plug my additional 2 monitors into the HDMI ports I get a something like no signal message comes up on my monitors.
Into what HDMI ports? Motherboard or Video card? If motherboard and the video card is still attached then you won't get any video since the video card is installed. Only some motherboards support hybrid video(both motherboard and video card ports) and that usually has to be enabled in the bios.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah been told I need a new graphics card. So they're not easy to install yourself?
A new graphics card is fairly easy to install. Replacing HDMI ports is more involved. If you aren't pretty experienced with soldering and have the appropriate tools it will be quite difficult

Continuing on from this thread. I did have 1 monitor out of my 3 working (my main 22" one) and now I'm just getting a blank screen. I did turn my computer off, unplug everything, replug it in and reboot and it booted up but now doesn't seem to be even doing that or at least the monitor remains blank (even after unpluggibg for 5 mins, replugging everything in and rebooting.) Is my graphics card totally stuffed now, looking that way isn't it? Will I need to open the computer up to see what graphics card I have?

Just had a worrying thing happen with my computer. Plugged all the leads in in the back and was trying boot it up again. Monitor still blank so I unplugged it from the HDMI port to try it in a different port in case it was the wrong one (as only one was working) and the computer just went off, now it won't start at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a light on somewhere on the motherboard? Most motherboard will have a light designating its getting power. Yours may not have one. My other thoughts is less likely that the power supply died but more of an electrical issue when you pulled the hdmi out. If it was the motherboard hdmi, then your faced with replacing the motherboard at this point and hope nothing else is wrong. But If you aren't well versed in computer repair, you should take it in and have them take a look at it and have them determine what is good and bad. You will need known good working parts to replace to see whats going on.

Is there a light on somewhere on the motherboard? Most motherboard will have a light designating its getting power. Yours may not have one. My other thoughts is less likely that the power supply died but more of an electrical issue when you pulled the hdmi out. If it was the motherboard hdmi, then your faced with replacing the motherboard at this point and hope nothing else is wrong. But If you aren't well versed in computer repair, you should take it in and have them take a look at it and have them determine what is good and bad. You will need known good working parts to replace to see whats going on.
I still have the issue with the monitors but you're gonna laugh now, when I unplugged one HDMI lead and the computer went off, it was the power lead inadvertently came out.

Someone's given me a graphics card now which I'm gonna install tomorrow.