Replacing motherboard and processor

John Calleja

Hi all in the forum
I am about to change my motherboard from an athlon supported board to a pentium4 supported board. Would it, in peoples opinion be wise for me to format my drive and start from fresh, or would people think that i can install the hard drive with all its contents and operating system (winxp pro) in tact?
any opinions would be welcome....thanks in advance
John Calleja

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Would it, in peoples opinion be wise for me to format my drive and start from fresh
Although there are cases where you can get away without reinstalling these are very select cases and for 99.9% of remaining cases you HAVE to reinstall

vanp1992

If you install a new motherboard then your computer will boot of course, but when u go to windows it'll try to detect your old motherboards drives which will cause problems. I say moving the needed filed to a backup drive

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I managed to get away without reinstalling after a motherboard and processor upgrade, but the changes were from AMD to AMD...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And most likely within the same chipset family but often when you do such upgrades its not much of a worthwhile upgrade considering damn near everything is still the same :)